pot light box enclosure

Old 02-13-11, 02:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pot light box enclosure

ok i have finished doing the things in the living room ( torn down a wall drywall, spray porcorn, extended the laminate floor paint the living room) now i want to put pot lights, in the ceiling. i was told that if i wan to use potlight when there is insulation you have to cover the fixture up in the attic with this metal box and then cover it with a vapor barrier. this is because of fire hazard.

is this something tha has to be done?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-11, 03:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You have to keep insulation away from the light unless it is an "IC" can. It will say so on the package. I would buy those. that way, you can lay your insulation right over it. The reason for building boxes over the non-IC cans is to prevent heat from damaging surrounding insulation, wood, paper, etc. Better to use IC cans, anyway.

Old 02-13-11, 06:40 PM
Boxes are also required by some building depts in multi dwelling units when a fire rating needs to be maintained between floors. I need to put them in a condo complex once. We used premade metal enclosures that screwed into the joists, then the light was installed in the box. As to the OP's question, unless this an apartment i see no need for the fire boxes. As chandler suggested, use IC rated cans and you will be fine.

Old 02-15-11, 01:43 PM
what is an "ic" can. i think i will put a metal box then just to be safe.

Old 02-15-11, 02:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 6 Posts
IC refers to being rated for insulation contact. Non-IC housings typically require a 3" gap in the thermal insulation surrounding the fixture.