Lighting - 150-ft tree - how to install

Old 02-16-11, 01:06 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Lighting - 150-ft tree - how to install

Have a 150-ft tree Christmas tree and have trimmed branches up 120-ft leaving branches on top 30-ft. The question is - what is the best way and type of lights to install on the upper branches of this tree? Access is limited - can't use a lift, and have a 20-ft radius clearance at base.
Yep! When you're snowed in you come up with intersting projects.
Looking for best ideas. approach, safety suggestions

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-11, 01:19 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Just some input for you. At that height and viewing distance, no one will be looking at the tree, just the lights. If you can extend a pole above the top of the tree with a ring/pulley where you have installed a loop of rope. Then your pre-wired set of lights with ropes extending to the ground could be pulled up and held in place. You then walk them around the perimeter until they are evenly distributed around the tree.

But it all starts with someone going up there, no thanks.

Bud

Old 02-16-11, 01:29 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
There are man lifts that can get up to 150ft. Availability and cost will depend on where you are located. A crane with a man basket may be more readily available and less expensive.

Old 02-16-11, 03:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Hey, guys, we're talking about the top 30' of a 15 story building, here!! Do you know how tall that is? If that much foliage has been removed from 120' of the trunk the tree will die in short order from bleeding to death. I feel a tug on my pants leg!!
I used a 50' vertical man lift inside a building on concrete in an controlled environment. Pucker time. 150 feet, no way.

Old 02-16-11, 03:53 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Correction probably needed - appreciate the pointing out of the relative height in comparison to number of equivalent stories. (thanks Chandler) Total height perhaps more on the order of 100-ft and the top branched out part more probably 25-ft. It's on a good sharp slope.
Fellow jacks prior to Christmas, did the trimming of the lower branches which in this part of the world the trees only maintain the upper canopy and hence have few lower branches.
The tree is generally viewed from the second story balcony and sits out and away in the middle of an amazing mountain scape view.
As indicated, environmental surroundings are not supportive of mechanical equipment.
Bud - your suggestion is close to what we came up with. Just requires the jack to get to the top and tie in the pole. then could use a light weight pole to push each dropped down strand out away from the branches. was trying to figure out the best way to get the strands spread around. Weren't going to have the strands all the way to the ground - only on the top canopy part.
for the holding the

Old 02-16-11, 05:01 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You could use a line gun maybe. Fasten the lights to a ring maybe a foot and a half in diameter. Shoot a bolo line over the top of the tee and haul the ring up and over so it slides down the crown and lodges.

Old 02-16-11, 09:15 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I had to laugh this last xmas when we drove past one of our neighbors homes during the day. I said to the wife, didn't they have a huge xmas tree on their front lawn the other night? Upon taking a closer look, there was a single post with strings of lights pulled down all around and "no" no tree. Looked good when all lit up and sure makes the tree huggers happy.

PS, even the 100' will put some wiggle in your knees .

Bud

Old 02-19-11, 06:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Halderman, just for info. I was driving to an estimate in North Carolina yesterday, and lo and behold was a tree grove of evergreens without a viable limb for at least 60'. Then the green part was just on top!! I have never seen this. I bet it is what you have. It looked to be a Loooooooong way up, though, and the "wiggle" in your knees as Bud mentioned, would be a minor inconvenience.