Wiring ceiling fan

Old 02-20-11, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Wiring ceiling fan

My husband and I just bought a 106 year old house. We removed the light fixture in my daughter's room and want to install a ceiling fan. Coming out of the ceiling are two black wires, two white wires, and two copper/ground wires. I'll signify those wires with capital letters, the ceiling fire wires with lower case (with bl being blue). So, when I wire B+B+b+bl and W+W+w and G+g (with one Ground wire attached to a green ground wire attached to the saf-t-pan), the fan will come on when the power is switched on, but a)the wall switch has no effect on it, and b) we hear a slight pop and the switch on the electrical panel outside moves to the center position and won't turn fully on until you switch the power off again. So I tried a few different configurations. I left one Black wire unattached, then the other. I tried wiring the blue light wire and the ceiling fan wire to it's own Black wire coming out of the ceiling. None of these attempts allowed me to control the fan with the switch on the wall. Any time I wired the two Black wires coming from the ceiling together, the switch on the electrical panel would pop to the center position....something my husband and I took to be a bad thing. Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-11, 05:26 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Coming out of the ceiling are two black wires, two white wires,
By that do you mean two 2-conductor cables with ground?

At the switch do you have a single 2-conductor cable with black and white to the switch.

P.S. Could you please use paragraphs. I have trouble reading with no paragraphs.

Old 02-22-11, 09:18 AM
Yes, there are two 2-line conductors with ground coming from the ceiling.

When I removed the switch cover, I only saw one set of wires, ie, one black, one white, one copper, coming out of the wall and wired to the switch.

Old 02-22-11, 09:55 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Fan Wiring

Coming out of the ceiling are two black wires, two white wires, and two copper/ground wires.
When I removed the switch cover, I only saw one set of wires, ie, one black, one white, one copper, coming out of the wall and wired to the switch.
This setup suggests that the power comes in at the ceiling box. The switch wiring you have is known as a switch loop.

Does the switch have the black wire connected to one screw and the white wire connected to the other screw?

Old 02-23-11, 09:00 PM
Yes, when I'm facing the switch and remove the plate, I look on the right side of the switch and see the bottom right screw has a white wire attached, the top right screw has a black wire attached. On the left side I see the copper wire attached to the top left screw.

Old 02-23-11, 10:55 PM
Yes, that sounds like a switch loop. At the light box you need to determine which cable is hot by measuring between the black and white of each cable. Use a test light, multimeter or solenoid tester. Do not use a non-contact tester. The cable that shows 120v is hot. The other cable should be 0v.

The cable that is 0v is the cable that goes to the switch. The white conductor of that cable should have been colored black* on both ends. Go ahead and do that now.

Recolored white of the switch cable goes to the black of the hot cable.

Black and blue from fan go to the black of the switch cable

White of fan goes to white of of hot cable.

Grounds tied together and pigtailed to the box if metal. You should always use a fan rated box only.

*Note: The switch cable white conductor can be recolored other colors besides black. Really any color except green, gray, or left white. You can use a couple of bands of colored tape or a felt tip marker.

Last edited by ray2047; 02-26-11 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-26-11, 10:28 AM
It worked! Thanks so much!

Old 02-26-11, 12:39 PM
Good job. Thanks for letting us know the outcome.