Replace quieter motor in a Nutone exhaust fan

Old 02-24-11, 06:27 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace quieter motor in a Nutone exhaust fan

I currenlty have a Nutone 668rp combination exhaust fan and light installed in a water closet and the noise is very hight as the room is small and the fan has a sone rating of 4. I have looked into replacing it with a more silent (1 sone) Nutone fan (model QTRN080l) but both the housing (668rp = 15" x 8 1/4" vs QTRN 11 3/8 x 10 1/2 " and cover sizes (66krp = 16 1/2" x 9 1/2" vs QTRN 14" x 13") are incompatible -- plus the housing is mounted (screwed) directly to a 2 x 6 beam right next to it... so I would have to cut out the beam to use hanger bars for attaching.

My question is can (and how would I go about) removing the fan motor and replacing it with a quieter one from the QTRN in the existing box .. or is this not technically possible.. Will the new motor not fit -- are there other considerations I am missing.

Thanks...

Old 02-24-11, 10:57 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You may be better off to purchase the correct unit. The motor is only part of the engineered acustic system. The scroll (squirrel cage), motor, air passages, etc. are designed as a package. I don't think that you will be satisfied if you try to piece meal it.

Retired Nut One engineer.

Old 02-24-11, 11:15 AM
N
Thanks GS ... Makes sense... Unfortunately I can't get into the attic (live in FL) as the house has pre-enginered trusts and getting from garage end of house (where access is) to the WC.. is virtually impossible.... Soooo looks like I will have to listen to it rattle a bit or spend a small fortune between the cost for a new silent operation unit and for an elecrician to do the project...

Thanks again..

Old 02-24-11, 11:42 AM
P
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
always noisy?

Was the fan always annoyingly loud or just recently? You can buy a replacement motor (vent assembly) for about $34 from Nutone if you think the motor is wornout or just bad.

NuTone

Old 02-24-11, 12:26 PM
N
Thanks, but I believe it was always quite noisy.. the water closet is small and just accomodates the comode so I really think I need to reduce the amount of sones the fan generates...

Thanks for the idea though...

Old 02-24-11, 12:54 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is there an exterior wall you could place a new quiter fan in in?

Old 02-26-11, 05:13 AM
N
Outside wall a no go

Not really, I live in FL and the outside walls (other than the internal furring strip -1" x 2" they use to nail wallboard to) is concrete block. So it is not worth the effort to move it to another spot. Plus there is really no room as there is a window directly behind the commode.

Old 02-26-11, 07:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
I agree with Goldstar. IIRC that fan is the $10 special. Also I think that fan is the 50 CFM.

What is stopping you from cutting out the drywall and installing the larger housing?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: