Replacing old square flush light fixtures

Old 02-25-11, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing old square flush light fixtures

I want to replace old square light fixtures - I can pull the box out and there is a square hole in ceiling and the house wire and it seems lie nothing else - I can see the joist and the floorvoards etc , I assume I have to install a mounting bracket - do I install one that has a bar bracket to connect to the 2 joists then just buy a new round /square fixture that covers the old hole?

Am I missing something
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-11, 04:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Apparently the junction box was not in the ceiling very well. Yes, you would want to use one of the spanner type ceiling boxes. Usually the kit comes with a bar which acts like a turnbuckle. The more you twist it, the tighter it gets between the joisting. They also come with a box and screws/ubolts/nuts, the whole bit. You may only have a 3" hole, and I am guessing lath and plaster, but if not you can cut it to the more modern 4" box and install it just fine.

Old 02-26-11, 06:21 AM
Thanks - actually the hole is a 10" by 10" square (15" diagonal) - so do i use a round normal lighting ceiling box and let it sit in the middle of the big square hole? would you replace plasterboard or just buy a round light big enough to cover square hole

Old 02-26-11, 06:50 AM
Whoa!! Hold on. What type light was there? Can you post a picture on a site such as photobucket.com and let us see what you have? http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html
A 10 x 10 hole will be 14.142" diagonally, but who's counting

Old 02-26-11, 07:34 AM
here is a photo

Old 02-26-11, 07:38 AM
can't embed photo - here is picasa link

https://picasaweb.google.com/AJLWHIT...MWn97qf9pqLfA#

Old 02-26-11, 08:22 AM
OK. What you would need to do is fill in the hole with sheetrock. If the hole butts up against a joist, cut 3/4" of the sheetrock out so you will have a good fastening place for the new sheetrock. While you are against that joist, go ahead and install a fan rated box similar to the one shown here Direct Mount Ceiling Fan Boxes-Fan & Fixture Rated - 4 Inch Round Ceiling Boxes - SlaterŪ Plastic Boxes - Residential Contractors - Products - Pass & Seymour Legrand. On the other 3 sides you most likely have exposed sheetrock without much support. You would lay 10" 2x4's on the sheetrock with half exposed and screw the 2x4 to the existing sheetrock. This will give you a 360 degree fastening place for your new sheetrock repair. Once it is installed you can finish the edges with tape and mud, sanding, prime and paint. Your new box will house the wiring from the old fixture and your new fixture will screw right up to the new box.
Confused, yet?

Old 02-26-11, 08:59 AM
No, I think I get it! - thanks very much , I was hoping to not have to mess with fixing sheetrock - mostly because it probably requires repainting ceiling.(which I did 3 months ago) I suppose using the spanner type would just leave the box hanging free with no support from surrounding sheetrock?

is another option to fill sheet rock square opening with a hole in middle of the new square and use a spanner type box - I am not installing a fan , just a fairly lightweight light fixture, then i may be able to avoid repainting if i get a wide enough round new light with a diameter over 15/16" to cover new square

Old 02-26-11, 09:03 AM
Absolutely it is fine to install the spanner type box in the center of your hole. May look better aesthetically since the old fixture was centered.

Old 02-26-11, 09:23 AM
do i need to fill hole with sheetrock? or just let spanner box hang in hole with no surrounding support - am i making sense?

Old 02-26-11, 01:39 PM
Yeah, in reality, you should go ahead and make the rock repair. Hey, it's good experience, and if the paint doesn't match, I don't think it would be as devastating as having a hole glaring at you.

Old 02-26-11, 03:12 PM
Thank you very much - I have fitted the spanner box and it is fine - when I try the lamp there are 2 corners showing a tiny hole - the other corners just cover so there is no way to move the light fixture to cover the 2 showing corners - they really are less than a quarter of an inch wide - maybe I can i fill with caulk or something - any ideas?

Old 02-26-11, 04:35 PM
Other than fix it right? Nope.

Old 03-03-11, 06:49 AM
If the holes are small and they don' bother you, you could probably ignore them. It would be best to do the drywall repair job now though. The reason is that since the ceiling was just repainted a few months ago, you can do the patch and then paint just the patch with the same paint. On the final coat, dilute it a little and feather it into the existing paint job. Should end up looking fine.

If you end up changing to smaller fixtures a couple years from now, and try to do the same thing, it won't look right. Old paint will be slightly yellowed, a bit dirty, etc. New paint just won't match it... and you probably won't be using the same paint either. For best results take care of it while the paint is young.