NEED HELP with plug in and ceiling light.

Old 02-26-11, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
NEED HELP with plug in and ceiling light.

I need help with lighting and a plug in. My lights and plug in stop working all of the time. SO I go to the fuse box and switch it back on. Well this time it didnt work. I went to the fuse box and switched it back on and nothing. Please help me. What can I do to fix this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sorry I mean breaker box. I dont know about the test button. CEB BC 24100 and it is 100 amps.

Last edited by bjornbjorn; 02-26-11 at 08:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-11, 07:17 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I went to the fuse box and switched it back on and nothing.
No switches in a fuse box. Do you mean you reset a breaker in a breaker box? Does the breaker also have a test button? What size breaker? What are the loads on the circuit when it happens?

Old 02-26-11, 10:16 PM
Sorry I mean breaker box. I dont know about the test button. CEB BC 24100 and it is 100 amps.
Are you saying it is the main breaker tripping not the branch circuit breaker?

Old 02-26-11, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by bjornbjorn View Post
I need help with lighting and a plug in. My lights and plug in stop working all of the time. SO I go to the fuse box and switch it back on. Well this time it didnt work. I went to the fuse box and switched it back on and nothing. Please help me. What can I do to fix this. Any help would be much appreciated.

No there is no breaker tripping not the main or the branch circuit

Old 02-26-11, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by bjornbjorn View Post
No there is no breaker tripping not the main or the branch circuit
Ok I am confused. Then what did you mean by "SO I go to the fuse box and switch it back on."?

Old 02-27-11, 01:05 PM
Thats usually what happens is I have to go to the breaker box and switch it back on. This time though there was nothing. The switch was in the right position. I even turned it off then on just to be sure.

Old 02-27-11, 04:14 PM
I have to go to the breaker box and switch it back on.
There are no switches in the breaker box. What you are turning on and off is a breaker. Or is the switch outside of the breaker box.

The next step would be to remove the face of the panel and measure the voltage from neutral to the breaker. This can be dangerous and may be above your skill level. It may be best to call an electrician.

I suggest you buy the book Wiring Simplified available at Home Depot, Amazon, and other places. Then you will better understand what to do and what we ask. Once you know the basics we can help you.

Old 03-03-11, 07:01 AM
The first problem is that if you ever have to switch the breaker in your panel back on, ever, something is wrong and needs to be fixed. Just because you can reset it and it starts working again doesn't mean it's fixed itself somehow. It sounds like you have too much on that circuit and need to move something around, or else something is damaged.

Speaking of damaged, my guess is that the components inside the breaker itself are damaged. Any breaker that's been tripped and reset many times isn't reliable. They aren't meant to trip over and over again, period. (There are expensive commercial breakers designed to be used as switches, but even those will wear out if they trip many times).

So, do you feel your skill level is already up to working inside a live electrical panel, where one slip will turn you into a charred corpse? If not it'd be a good idea to learn more before messing with the breaker. At least, figure out how to kill power to the whole panel before working on it. Replacing the breaker is probably the easiest first thing to do though.