Wiring for ceiling fan question.

Old 03-08-11, 09:47 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring for ceiling fan question.

I am going to put up a ceiling fan and have a little wiring question. The ceiling fan has a black and white. The junction for the ceiling fan has (1 black,) (2 white), and (2 black and 1 white). Which is which? Not sure how they did this but I would like a little advice. Where should my white from fan go? black from fan? Thanks.

Old 03-08-11, 01:53 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Cable or conduit? What wires are at the switch? What color wires connected to the switch?

Old 03-16-11, 08:35 AM
W
There is a black and white at the switch. No conduit.
The other fan would not work the way I needed it to because it was only a two wire fan that also controlled the light. I could not get around my dimmer switch in my system. I had to change the fan and light. I now have a three wire fan. White, black, blue. How can I make it to where the fan is not controlled by the switch? I want it always on so I can control it from the pull chain. I have (1 black,) (2 white), and (2 black and 1 white) coming into the box. The white should go to white, the blue for the light to the black, but should the black for the fan to stay on all the time go to the 2 black and one white to stay on all the time?

Old 03-16-11, 09:37 AM
The junction for the ceiling fan has (1 black,) (2 white), and (2 black and 1 white).
Do you mean you have three 2-conductor cables?

There is a black and white at the switch.
Am I correct there is no other cable at the switch and the black and white is hooked to the switch?

How can I make it to where the fan is not controlled by the switch?
At the ceiling box there should be two house blacks and a house white wire nutted together. The Fan black and fan blue go to that. The house white is disconnected and capped.

There should be two house whites wires wire nutted together. The fan white goes to that.

That should leave you with one cable whose black and white are not connected. Cap the black of that cable.

If there is any differences in what you have at the ceiling box stop and post back.

Old 03-16-11, 09:57 AM
W
Here is what is at the fan box. 3 cables coming in. Tied off in this way. 1 black, 2 whites, and 2 black w/1 white. This is the combination at the box. No other wires at the switch.

Old 03-16-11, 10:50 AM
Tied off in this way. 1 black, 2 whites, and 2 black w/1 white.
Are you saying the 1 black and two whites are tied together? If so that isn't right. If they aren't cap the black and connect the two house whites to the fan white. On the 2 black w/1 white disconnect the white and cap. Connect the black and blue fan wires to these to black house wires. As stated this should leave you with one cable whose black and white wires are capped.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: