dark hallway

Old 03-15-11, 12:28 AM
wwc
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dark hallway

I have a long hallway that the bedrooms come off of and at night it's very dark and I don't want to turn on the single bright light fixture that's in the middle of the hall ceiling and wake people up, Is there a dimmer light that is motion activated that I could install in the hall without it looking weird and out of place maybe even battery operated if the battery's last that long , wouldn't be good if I had to change them every few days,lol.

any other ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-11, 06:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
Do you have switches at each end of the hallway or just a single switch at one end?

Have you considered a plugin LED nightlight?

Old 03-15-11, 08:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
We did what Jim suggested. We have an LED nightlight that resembles a theater foot light with louvers that shine down on the floor, so it isn't so bright in the hall itself. Lights it up just enough to see without having to wake everyone up with the lights in the hall itself. Note on the right side of the package: Amazon.com: Feit Electric 8 LED Nightlights: Lamps & Light Fixtures
Or try for example: Progress Lighting - P8538-30 - Wallbox Vacancy Sensor with Dimmer in White | CSN Lighting

Old 03-15-11, 01:01 PM
wwc
Those look nice but I don't have a outlet plug in the hall and only have the one light switch on one end.

Old 03-15-11, 06:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you have the one switch, you can use the motion detector. It can operate at a pretty wide angle.

Old 03-15-11, 06:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
Do you have a receptacle on the inside of the hallway wall? It should not be hard to jump to the other side of the wall and install a new receptacle.

Old 03-15-11, 07:40 PM
wwc
No I don't have any receptacles on the other side of the wall either.

the motion detector switch says manual on and auto off, besides I still don't want the bright hall light coming on to keep from waking people sleeping.

I do appreciate the ideas though,thanks.

Old 03-15-11, 07:59 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If there is an unfinished attic above installing a receptacle shouldn't be too hard.

Old 03-16-11, 11:29 AM
wwc
yes there is a unfinished attic, I have never installed a outlet but i guess i could learn.

Old 03-19-11, 12:43 AM
Lightbulb Try a small light bulb or battery lite

Two ideas that could work before getting into wiring!

1. If you do not mind a poorly lit hallway, you could try replacing the light bulb with a very low wattage bulb (say 7 or 10 watts). Of course, you would always have only this much light!

2. Replace the light switch with a dimmer switch and remember to leave it at a very low setting. There are a variety of dimmers priced from $5-6 going up to $75 or more. Some stores have a few samples that you can try.

3. There are battery operated lights that could work. They look like a big button that you step on to turn on or off. You can place these anywhere. Of course, how long the batteries last will depend on the usage! These probably cost $2-3. (probably less at a thrift shop).

Old 03-19-11, 01:16 AM
wwc
thanks for the ideas, the dimmer switch is a good idea but I still have to feel my way to the switch at night,lol.
I like a motion detector idea then it would come on automatically , but would have to be a separate light so it could be dimmer.

thanks for the help.

Old 03-19-11, 03:41 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Night Light

If you have a bath room on the hallway, install a night light in the bath room and leave the bath room door partially open at night.