Ballastless Fluorscent

Old 03-17-11, 03:16 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Ballastless Fluorscent

I bought a "New" fixture from a store that was closing (The store was a mess and people opened up everything) anyway I bought it without looking to see if everything was in the box and I think someone stole the ballast from the fixture all I see is two wires + bare ground and a weird socket (Looks like a GU-10 Halogen but bigger) The bulb was there and it fits in the socket but shouldn't there be a ballast somewhere? I would have installed it already but I don't want to destroy the bulb or my house

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-11, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A gu-10 is not a fluorescent bulb and doesn't need a ballast. If its a fluorescent light it would either have tubular lamps or some type of compact fluorescent lamp which has short u shaped tubes, usually 2 or 3 u bends. Anything else isn't a fluorescent and doesn't need a ballast. The screw in type cfl lamps you can buy from the home stores have a ballast built intotheir base.

Old 03-26-11, 07:48 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I looked up the model number on the bulb and it is actually a GU24 I said GU10 but bigger as they are of the same design (Twist Lock)
So my research says the ballast is integral (Just like a normal CFL) the only thing different is the socket

I have a similar fluorescent fixture in my house (Made by the same company MaxLite) but the ballast is external to the lamp (I guess an older model)

I don't get the point if this but (To manufacturer several different lamp bases all with the same lamp/ballast type)