Replacing and disposing of energy saver lights

Old 03-21-11, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing and disposing of energy saver lights

I'm renting a small townhouse where all the lights are normal bulbs except for in one of the bathrooms where they have those curly-q things that you can't throw out normally because of the mercury.

There is a double sink with four of these over it, in a rack, and one of them is now burnt out. There is also a glass covered fixture in the ceiling; when I took the glass off I saw one of these lights and an empty socket.

Can I replace the burnt out light with a regular bulb and put a regular bulb in the overhead one that's empty or are these special types of sockets?

I'm only going to be here about 5 more months and have no interest in springing for these other lights since I already have bulbs here to replace the ones in the rest of the house. I also have no intention of throwing this thing out, so I'm assuming I can just put it in a bag and tuck it away someplace. Then when I move I'll tell them it burnt out and I didn't know what to do with it.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-11, 07:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 29 Posts
Typical incandescent bulbs should be fine in the fixture. Be sure to check the socket label for the maximum size.

As far as disposal some arears allow regular trash disposal. You could check with your waste disposal department. some stores also have recycling bins set up for bulb collection.

Old 03-21-11, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
Typical incandescent bulbs should be fine in the fixture. Be sure to check the socket label for the maximum size.

As far as disposal some arears allow regular trash disposal. You could check with your waste disposal department. some stores also have recycling bins set up for bulb collection.
I appreciate the response. I was able to pick up a box of these things for fairly cheap in a local "Big Lots"; it was $5.50 for a four pack and one was defective so now I have TWO to get rid of. I found out, however, that the Lowes and Home Depot in my town have a collection area where you can dispose of them. Problem solved. They need to make these lights easier to deal with.