T5 HO Fluorescent lighting questions??

Old 03-27-11, 08:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
T5 HO Fluorescent lighting questions??

Hi all,
And thanks for allowing me to join your forum it sure looks informative! My question/problem is my shop currently has 8' T12 fluorescent lights and they are terrible for fine work which is what I do a lot of. I have read that the T5 HO low bay Fluorescents with a 135watt bulb are the way to go for a bright work environment. Is this the way to go or is there a better way to get that on the sun brightness I need lol. Do you have recommendations as where to purchase.Thanks for any and all advice.
Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-11, 09:52 AM
T5 are the newest thing in fluorescents. They are bright and energy efficient. A high bay fixture is for spaces with ceilings around 20 feet and up. How high is the ceiling in your shop? Also if your ceiling is to low you should get a fixture with a lens both to protect the lamps and your eyes. I've read in some manufacturers specs that t5's to low can cause eye damage if you look directly at them from to close. I have a program that can tell you what lights to use based on what you're doing and how high the ceiling is how high the working plane is the type of walls and ceilicngs etc. If you can give me a description of your shop I can plug it in for you.

Old 03-27-11, 11:36 AM
Wow that sounds really cool thanks Wire Jockey! My shop ceiling is open to about a 12ft peek the lights are affixed to the metal cross members which are at 9ft the bench's are at 36ins. The walls and ceiling are white sheet rock and the floor is a light beige epoxy paint with the dark flecks. I do a lot of fine file and sanding work where optimum lighting is very important. This side of my shop is 24'x24' with currently 5 8ft,T12 double tube fluorescent and the lighting is poor to say the least. I hope that's what you need.
Mark

Old 03-27-11, 01:11 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
My garage is roughly the same area as your shop and I have five, eight-foot, two-tube HO (105 watt) fluorescent fixtures for general lighting. I recently bought the sixth fixture and a box of tubes since I understand the eight foot HO tubes will soon be discontinued and I wanted enough spares to last until I die.

However, I would never consider this general lighting to be enough for fine close-up work. For that I have a magnifying desk lamp with a circular fluorescent bulb and a second magnifying lamp with a halogen bulb. I don't think you will ever get enough light for detailed work from a fixed overhead lighting fixture.

Old 03-27-11, 06:25 PM
Are they T5, T8 or T12 lights Furd ?

Old 03-27-11, 08:37 PM
F96T12CWHO 4100K 110 watts. (I guess I lied when I previously wrote 105 watts.) I don't know the lumen rating and they aren't exactly where I can check.

Old 03-27-11, 09:44 PM
Yes Furd, that is what I have now are the T12's and as fine work, shop lights they are pretty much useless, that why I am trying to find out all I can about the T5,s as I have heard they are amazing with how much light they generate.

Old 03-28-11, 12:43 AM
If I correctly remember the physics, light dissipates with the square of the distance. What this means is if you have X number of lumens at two feet and then increase the distance between the source and the work to four feet you will have only one-fourth as many lumens falling on the work. This is why a part you can easily see on the workbench becomes invisible if dropped on the floor and you need to use a flashlight when on your hands and knees to find the part.

You MUST get the light source closer to the work!

Go to the big box mega-mart homecenter and read the lumen output of various lights. You will find that for any particular watt rating fluorescent tube the smaller diameter ones DO have a slightly higher higher lumen rating but it isn't a huge increase, only a few percent at most. Certainly not worth changing perfectly good fixtures for the small increment in light output in my opinion. If you had no lighting at all then I would suggest going with the T5 simply because the T12 is going to be discontinued. I would also advise you to buy a box of T12 tubes while you still can unless you have lots of money to burn. In a year or two you won't be able to buy the T12s. With only five fixtures the operational costs between the T12s and the T5s is negligible but the capital cost to dump the T12 fixtures for the T5s is considerable.

Old 03-28-11, 01:47 AM
The 8' T-12 HO typically do dish out about 7200 to 8600 Lumines depending on which type of bulb you use and that per lamp.

The 12 foot is little low for T-5 HO's but with 4 lamp T-5 HO it will outshine the old 8 footer T-12 and the cost is slowly drop due it get pretty common now but cost wise I do not know exact price due it will varies a bit depending on the manufacter and the options you want on them.

The T-5 HO is typically Instast start but few are Rapid start verison and they will only come with electronic ballast so it will be even more quiet as well and they are popualr with it.

There is a T-8 verison as well so this may suit the appaction even better and yes they do have HO { high output } verison but most are used in standard format so you can use the common 4 footer T-8 bulbs.

That again it will come with electronic ballast and the T-8 will come either Rapid start or Instat start. { it may be little cheaper than T-5 HO's but not much on costwise }

Can you give us the building size I know you mention height but need the size so one way or other I can come up with the figures.

Merci.
Marc

Old 03-28-11, 12:03 PM
Hi french277V,
All my shop dimensions are listed below also. The ceiling is 12ft open, lights are at 9ft bench,s are at 38in shop measurements are 24ftx24ft light beige epoxy painted floors walls are sheet rock painted white. I currently have 5 8ft fluorescents.

Old 03-29-11, 09:01 PM
I will come up couple figures in a bit as you say 8 foot T12's now and I will suggest that you will need addtional lights above the workbench area so you will need the 4 lamp T-5HO that will really light up more than twice than what you have with T-8 and the power useage will be about the same as the old two lamp 8'T12 were and I am pretty sure that is slimline { a single pin each end }

The cost of 4 lamp T-5HO that I am not sure what they will charge in your area and I really doubt that the big box may have them on hand otherwise they will be special order otherwise go to electrical supply centre and someone in the electrical supply centre will know excatally what you need and on bigger electrical supply centre they will have a person whom deal with luminaires so they can whip up a number for ya.

I will quote my price however it will be in Euros and this is in France so therefore your cost should be pretty close to it and each luminaire will run about 120 Euros I know they are not cheap but they can be justifed with extra brightness with same power useage and some case less.

And you can hang them down a little more

Is the luminaires you have now are hard wired or have cord / plug attachment now ?

If latter it will make it eaiser with it.

Merci,
Marc

Old 03-30-11, 07:44 AM
Thanks French277V,
I have a quote for 4ft T5HO 4bulb with lights included for $120.00 out of Florida. My lights are all hard wired and with these they figure I should get about 90+ luminaires.

Old 03-31-11, 12:40 AM
I came up with rough figures you will have 3 X 3 pattern of total of 9 lumiaires they will be spaced 6 feet apart so it will be even all the way thru and I don't know if it will be wise idea if you split the light circuit in half so some days you don't need all them on so something like 5 in diamond pattern and four on other pattern so you can adjust the light what you need.

That spaceing I did suggest that will work with either T-8 verison or T-5 verison.

If you have actually a workbench then I can change the pattern a little it is not super hard to change it.

Merci.
Marc

Old 04-02-11, 12:11 PM
MS Stewart,

Im sorry it took so long to get back to you. I did some research and found out that the accepted standard amount of lighting for fine wood working is approximately 100 foot candles on the work plane (your work bench).

I ran your dimensions through a program from Day-Brite lighting and it said you would need 12 of a 4 foot 2 tube T5 HO strip light to produce 100 foot candles on your work bench.

Around here a 4' T5 HO strip runs around $75 bucks plus $10 bucks for lamps. so you're approaching $1000.00 to redo your lighting. Perhapse you just want to hang several of the t5 HO's over your work bench and not try to relight the entire shop. You can place the lights over your work bench in accordance with the diagram below and that would give you the extra light where you work.

Let me know if you need any additional help

Ray - It wasn't an add. Power corrupts.

Last edited by Wire Jockey; 04-02-11 at 02:40 PM.