outdoor floodlight options-par38 bulb vs straight halogen bulb

Old 03-28-11, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
outdoor floodlight options-par38 bulb vs straight halogen bulb

lights are for under eave. i found one that is rectangular with 150watt halogen bulb, the type of bulb you often use in a worklight. this is lithonia lighting OFTM 150Q 120 LP WH. on their website it says it puts out 2400 lumens. the par38 holds up to 150 watt. I only found 120 watt (halogen) and it puts out 1800 lumens. based on lifespans listed, the bulbs cost about the same. any advantages/disadvantages to using one over the other? big issue is will both of these types of bulbs be available in few years?? one disadvantage to the rectangular is that you have to loosen screw to open the cover to change bulb. trying to do that while hanging out my window may be a little hard. screwing and unscrwing a par38 is much easier. but looks like it puts out a good bit less lumens.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-11, 11:35 AM
I've found that despite what the package may say, Quartz Halogen lamps do not last as long as a standard Par38 Halogen. Also with the Quarts Halogen you need to be careful not to touch the lamp with your bare hand. Usually they come wrapped in foam. If oils from your skin get on the glass, it will quickly heat up, turn black and burn out.

If you live somewhere where you want it really bright and it wont bother the neighbors, and you are concerned about changing the blub, install a 100 watt Metal Halide. They put out 9000 lumens compared to the 1500 lumens of a par 38 and they have a 15,000 hour life span. see link below
100 Watt - Medium Base - Pulse Start Metal Halide | 1000Bulbs.com

Last edited by ray2047; 04-02-11 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Remove Ad
Old 04-02-11, 03:27 PM
wow, that is a lot of lumens from 100 watts! but it does not have any reflector so those lumens are scattered everywhere, whereas the par 38 is relected and directed into narrower beam. I noticed some are protected and some unprotected and that can dictate the fixture used. will have to look into what kind of fixtures can use these type of bulbs and focus the light. the quartz halogen also throw light everywhere, but use reflectors as well. I am sure they make some kind of fixture that does the same for the metal halide.

Old 04-02-11, 07:46 PM
What are you trying to illuminate?
If you don't need 9000 lumens!!!!

An LED flood (sam's @ about 20 bucks) only uses 11 watts!!!!!!!
one on my deck shines over my grill.

fred

Old 04-02-11, 08:09 PM
various places. put two round receptacles for floods to shine over my in ground pool, deck area (large pool), one to shine down on a wooden deck (1st floor deck and light is on eave of second story roof. one on front of house on 2nd floor eave to shine down onto drive (but has to be angled out to clear the covered porch so illuminating area is good distance away. I guess have to take these out and maybe just test them out. see if the ones I have (the tube halogen) are enough. they were about $20 I think and have two heads on each light. how many lumens is the LED you got at sams. not member there.