New Light in Bathroom...What Kind of Wiring/Switch?? Help!

Old 04-01-11, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Light in Bathroom...What Kind of Wiring/Switch?? Help!

Hey all, this is probably a pretty basic question, but I have never been very adept electrically.

I am completely renovating my bathroom. As it stands now, there is one light in the room. Power runs to the fixture, and there is a drop leg switch for it by the door.

I am adding a second light over the sink. I was going to run power to that fixture, and then do a second drop leg switch by the door.

For aesthetic purposes, I bought a double switch for 2 single poles (stacked horizontal switches). I thought I could just run each of my switch wires to a switch and that would be that. Am I correct in my thinking?

I have no problem buying a double box and putting two separate single switched in it. I was just trying to make everything as least invasive to wall space as possible.

Sorry if this is a simple questions, but I don't believe in trial and error when it comes to electric....much too dangerous.

Any help is really appreciated so I can get this done and get some drywall up.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-11, 12:33 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes. If you run a switch loop you can use a single 3-conductor cable from the light with power to the switch. Recolor the white of the 3-conductor cable some color such as blue but not green or gray. Connect the recolored white to power-in black at the light and at the switch to the side with a tab connecting the screws.

Then your red and black to the screws on the other side. Black to one light and red to the other.

At the light of the switch loop just run a 2-conductor cable to the second light. Connect the cable to one of the switched hots (red or black) and neutral.

There are other ways but that seems simplest if power is to one of the lights.

Old 04-01-11, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ray-

Thanks so much for the quick reply. If I understand correctly, this will give me power from the existing light to the switch, and then power from the switch to the new light, is that right? That isn't how I was thinking of it, but that would save me the step of having to get up into the attic and run power independently to the new light just to drop a second switch, so I like the idea. The only part I don't understand is this:

"Connect the recolored white to power-in black at the light"

Can you clarify?

And I don't need a ground wire from the switch to the new light?

Thanks so much for walking me through this....this is my first house and my wife will kill me if I burn it down.