house number lighting- can you identify the bulb I need?

Old 04-17-11, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
house number lighting- can you identify the bulb I need?

At the fron of my house there is a number sign which has some wiring running to it- no bulbs are intact- I'm assuming its meant to be some very low voltage sign light- anyone recognize this? My first thought was a 'night light' size light bulb- but I wouldn't think the voltage would be right. I'm assumign the bulb would go on either side of those metal things with the wires running to them- in that first picture it looks like there are some threads in the circled region... the hole there is about the size of my pinky finger- any thoughts??

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-11, 11:28 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
My guess woyld be a candelopera base bulb but first you need to measure with a multimeter to see if you have voltage.

Old 04-17-11, 11:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Without knowing the manufacturer, it would only be a guess. However it does say "full housepower", which could mean it is not low voltage. A very low wattage (<4 watts) similar to a night light bulb looks to be the right size. As much as I like exactness, it looks like trial and error may prevail.

Old 04-17-11, 08:12 PM
yeah i tried searching for 'full housepower' online and found nothing. I still think its some low voltage light- I can see the wires coming from the unit up the brick into the house and they are rather thin- much too small for full 120volt I would think. I tried a night light light and it was just a hair too big... I also looked at the 'threads' again- I'm now not even 100% convinced they are actual threads- maybe just grooves in part of the metal...could even be some bayonet style

Old 04-17-11, 08:44 PM
I had the same style address holder on my last home, which was built in the 1960's. I can't remember the bulb model number but it was powered off of the doorbell transformer. I'm thinking that each of the two pairs were wired in series.
As Ray said, check it out first with a meter to see if you have any voltage, an if so, what the voltage is.
Chandler, mine also said "full house power". I think it was a gimmick and mine also had a medallion at the bottom relating to the latest ( at that time) in home wiring.

Old 04-17-11, 08:53 PM
goldstar you are 100% correct! There is a medallion at the bottom of the numbers- an all electric home or something like that- thanks 1960s utilities. So do you remember how many bulbs I should put in (4 bulbs is my guess) and do you know there base style (screw in or bayonet or anything)? Anything else you can remember would help a ton!

Old 04-18-11, 10:25 PM
I do recall that there were four bulbs. They may have been bayonet base but I cannot swear to it. I moved from that house about 16 years ago. Wish I could help further but doubt the current occupants would want me nosing around.LOL

Old 04-22-11, 04:33 PM
The mfg is Everlite. It gives a list of replacement bulbs here. Parts - Everlite Illuminated House Numbers

Old 04-22-11, 04:47 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bd502 View Post
The mfg is Everlite. It gives a list of replacement bulbs here. Parts - Everlite Illuminated House Numbers
Good find. It was mentioned earlier it might be doorbell xformer powered and a couple of those bulbs are 16v but there are other voltages also so it will be important to measure the voltage before ordering.

Old 04-23-11, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by bd502 View Post
GREAT! Thanks!- I will contact them and see if they can tell me which bulb to order (and I'll check the voltage).