Will noise from bathroom fan go away by replacing blower assembly?

Old 04-20-11, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Will noise from bathroom fan go away by replacing blower assembly?

One of the bathroom fans in my house is making a lot of noise. It's not a quite model to begin with, but there is definitely something wrong with it, since the same model fans in other bathrooms are quieter by comparison.

I've got the part number for the blower assembly and found a dealer who carries them.

But, is the noise from the bathroom fan caused by the blower assembly? I don't want to pay over $100 for a replacement blower assembly only to find that the culprit for the noise was something else.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-11, 12:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If it isn't a super quiet model, don't expect a miracle when you change out the motor. Have you inspected it yet? Sometimes lint or small pieces of crud will lodge in the impellers and make a noise. Vacuum out the area and see if it returns to normalcy. If not, and the motor is the culprit, then changing it out would make sense. I don't see anywhere you have to spend $100 on a motor assembly on a common exhaust fan, however. Tops probably $30 for the assembly. Check the box stores.

Old 04-20-11, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
If it isn't a super quiet model, don't expect a miracle when you change out the motor. Have you inspected it yet? Sometimes lint or small pieces of crud will lodge in the impellers and make a noise. Vacuum out the area and see if it returns to normalcy. If not, and the motor is the culprit, then changing it out would make sense. I don't see anywhere you have to spend $100 on a motor assembly on a common exhaust fan, however. Tops probably $30 for the assembly. Check the box stores.
Thanks for the advice. I'll try vacuuming first as you suggested.

The part is from Broan, and the cheapest I could find was $100 and changes after shipping (97013570 - BLOWER ASSEMBLY). The regular price is over $160. Can I simply replace the motor with a generic assembly unit instead of an OEM?

Old 04-20-11, 01:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
For that kind of price you can pick up a LS series from Nutone/Broan.

Old 04-20-11, 02:01 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The Broan QTXE110 which is rated at .7 sones is about $167.00 for a complete fan assembly. With the prices quoted for a motor assembly or even just a motor, I would replace the whole thing. Like Chandler advised, clean up the impeller first. Even though the motors are "lubed for life", if you can squeeze a drop of oil on the bearing/shaft junctions, they will sometimes quiet down for a lengthy period.

Old 04-23-11, 12:16 PM
I have removed the motor and vacuumed it, as advised in this thread. Other than powdery, brownish dust - on which I've created another thread, there didn't any obstruction to the airflow.

But what I realized during the removal process was that the whole housing was not securely placed on the ceiling. The housing seemed to jerk a lot as the motor span, creating a lot of vibration and noise. I inserted some spacer between the metal housing and the ceiling dry wall panel, and it did reduce the noise quite a bit. Although the motor is still quite noisy, it is no louder than other bathroom fans in my house.

Thanks all for the advice.