Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

Ceiling fans and Saf T Brace, Are there different braces for different fixtures

Old 04-21-11, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am about to install a ceiling fan in my great room which has a 16ft ceiling and no attic access above it. There was a light fixture already in place where I want the fan to go so I took it down to see what I was working with. I had already planned to use a saf t brace to mount the ceiling fan but there is already a brace up there running between the two rafters. Are there different types of braces for different fixtures? This doesn't look really that heavy duty but it seems pretty sturdy and it would save me the hassle of having to take it out and put in a new one. Odd thing is the rafter is only about 4" to left of the hole already but the other one is about 20" away (this is where i would run into the most issues). It seems locked in there but I am skeptical. I am already in a weird position on the ladder that high off the ground so the less work I can do the better.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-11, 06:32 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
That is probably a standard light fixture brace. You need to replace it with a fan brace.

Old 04-21-11, 08:58 PM
After looking at it some more it def cant handle a fan. I think I have a problem though. I can see where the brace is what looks like stapled to the beam that is 4" over from the hole. I can get that side out most likely but I do have 24" off center rafters so how do i go about getting the opposite side out? Do I just keep pulling/bending it till it comes free?

Old 04-21-11, 09:26 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Do I just keep pulling/bending it till it comes free
Yes or bend it out of the way enough to get the new one in. The fan brace probably has points that dig into the wood. If it will go over the foot of the old one and the points dig in then you are good. You may be able to bend the old one back and forth and break the bar off at the foot if you can get one end loose or just bend it away and leave the foot.

The old one is two pieces. With enough force in the middle you may be able to bend it in and apart. Again if the points straddle the foot of the old one so they grab wood you are ok. They'd probably even pierce the foot of the old one if needed.

Old 04-24-11, 11:42 AM
Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't able to fully get the old brace out but I was able to free the one side and I just bent it out of the way so the ceiling fan brace would fit properly and line up. I must admit there was a few sketchy times on the ladder trying to pry the old bar off the one rafter but everything is hung and doing great. Thanks again for clearing it up.

Off topic though but why would the builders use these braces for the fixtures when there is a ceiling joist running 3" to the left of the hole? Wouldn't it of been smarter to just directly mount to the joist?

Old 04-24-11, 12:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Framers are concerned with framing and making sure it don't fall. Electricians, if they get there early enough will request blocking for items called for on the prints. If all that is called for is a "light", then nothing more heavy duty is installed. Plumbers, ditto. Trim guys want blocking to attach their trim work to at doorways.
You're right, however, if all the trades talked to each other, proper blocking would be in place with minimal expense and would help pull it all together. Glad you were able to get'r done without falling off that ladder.