Converting fixed-bulb line-voltage can light to adjustable "eyeball" type

Old 04-21-11, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Converting fixed-bulb line-voltage can light to adjustable "eyeball" type

I have one currently-installed can (recessed) light in my kitchen I want to upgrade from a fixed bulb to a movable "eyeball" type. Seems to me there should be a converting kit out there somewhere, but I've searched and Googled for two days to no avail. Can this be done without replacing the complete canister unit? If so, what is the replacement/retrofit unit called, and where can I get one? If it's not possible, I'll live with what I've got. Rewiring doesn't seem to be a complex concept.
I want to retain the line-voltage type, so LED or halogen types aren't the answer. (I've read about kits which screw a pigtail from a transformer into the existing socket, but the fire hazard element bothers me, especially if I were to sell the place and some unwitting new owner got in trouble.)

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-11, 05:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What brand can light do you have now? Eyeball diffusers are readily available at box stores or lighting stores. Let us know and we'll help with your search.

Old 04-24-11, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Hey, Chandler
Thanks for the come-back.
I just returned from Lowe's, and found what I was looking for. Seems like the eyeball kit simply screws into the existing socket, once the socket has been detached from the can. I hadn't found ANYTHING in my online searches, except conversions to halogen or LED. (Now it appears my wife may not want this after all. Go figure!)

Last edited by JRANK1; 04-24-11 at 08:28 AM. Reason: wording
Old 04-24-11, 11:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
c'est la vie!! It happens in the best of families . JK. There are probably other combinations or light configurations you could use. Let us know if we can help.