Old-Fashioned Light Bulbs

Old 04-26-11, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old-Fashioned Light Bulbs

My husband and I are in the middle of a remodel on our 1950s home. We would like to replace the existing light bulbs (they were swapped for more contemporary ones before we bought it) with some authentic looking ones. All the old-fashioned style light bulbs that I've found online seem overpriced. Does any one know of a more budget-friendly resource as I have to replace many of them.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-11, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
When you say "light bulbs " do you possibly mean light fixtures???

If so a good place to get vintage fixtures is in thrift stores and second hand shops.
Habitat for humanity also has outlets in many areas.

One thing though is you really need to have a good knowledge of wiring and wiring safety.
If you are buying second hand electrical devices there is a possibility they could be unsafe or even not approved any more.

If you happen to mean light bulbs themselves, then any incandescent bulb will do but why would you want to?

Old 04-29-11, 08:37 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm wondering if the OP means those reproduction Edison style antique light bulbs with clear glass and the pointed tip that were common in the infancy of electric illumination? If so, the online antique reproduction places are about the only place you can buy those antique style light bulbs. From what I can tell, those antique reproduction bulbs are more for looks and not so much for bright illumination. But a 1950's vintage home would not have used that style of bulb at all. If the OP is talking 1950's style light fixtures, then perhaps a recycled building materials store might have them. Growing up in an early 1950's vintage house, I don't recall our light fixtures as being anything especially memorable or special....certainly nothing I'd want to return to using.