Suggestions for office lighting

Old 05-01-11, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for office lighting

This is a room that I am remodeling, turning it in to an office. The room is about 17' x 17' with 8' ceilings. I was planning to use 3 cans per wall, for a total of 8.

I was thinking I would probably need something in the center of the room too. Either an additional can / or a small light fixture.

Someone suggested that I may not want a can right in front of the TV.
This configuration is going to have a can right above the bar / sink, that seems good. There is also a light right in the middle of each of the 2 large windows and the large glass french door. Is this going to create a lot of glare? are there any other suggestions for lighting the room?

The room has a shinny dark concrete floor, the walls will be a light gray.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-11, 08:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Where do you plan to put your desk? What kind of TV is it? Plasma or LCD? How do you want them switched? Perhaps a ceiling fan (with or without a light) in the middle might be an option?

Old 05-02-11, 09:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am planning on placing my desk at the lower right corner of the diagram. My back would be towards the window and I would be facing the area with the TV (Probably a couch added in front of the TV). That bottom right light would probably be right over the desk.

The Tv is a LCD TV on a wall mounted arm that allow is to swivel.

Switched, are you talking about the wall switch? I was planning a dimmer that would control all the lights. I wasn't planning them to be in different zones.. in the middle of the room there was a ceiling fan. I bought a mini split to use in here, so I was not planning on putting in a ceiling fan.

The original room had a ceiling fan, and two 4' Florescent Fixtures.

Old 05-02-11, 01:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
One can over your desk is not a lot of light. You might want to consider two.

With the TV being LCD they are not a "glarey" as a Plasma screen so I don't think putting a can there would be a big deal. Your layout will give you a even spread of light. I would put in 9 6" cans total, evenly spaced. Maybe adding an extra over your desk and maybe another over by the sink. However, the sink could be accented by some under counter lights.

I like to switch them in zones but it is a personal preference thing so to each their own.