wiring 3 rocker switch to light/fan combo

Old 05-07-11, 10:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wiring 3 rocker switch to light/fan combo

I have a single speed exhaust fan/light combo for a bathroom and a 3 rocker switch I want to use. I understand basic wiring but have never used one of these switches before. I want to wire it like this: Top rocker light, middle fan, bottom to a separate light over the sink and mirror. I have lots of left over 12/2w/ground and the run from the switch to the fixtures are fairly short. My question is can this be done with the 12/2w/ground insted of the 3way type of wire that the switch directions describe and if so, the light in the combo unit has no ground wire. I'm not sure what I would do with the ground coming to the light from the switch. Thanks for any answers.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-11, 10:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It can be done with 2-conductor but the problem is space in the connection box at the fan. You would have to use two 2-conductor cables and that is a lot of wires and wirenuts in a small box. If power comes in at the fan/light you probably don't have the space. If power comes in at the switch it will be tight.

If power comes in at the switch you also have to worry about space in the switch box. If power comes in at the switch I would suggest either a deep single gang switch box or using a two gang switch box with a duplex and simplex switch instead of a single triplex switch.

Old 05-07-11, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Ray. If you have ever seen A Christmas Story, you can get an idea of how my house was wired before we upgraded during our overhaul of the entire home. I've got the space issue worked out. The only other concern I have is the ground wire from the second conductor to the light in the combo unit. I'm not sure what to do with it safely.

Old 05-07-11, 12:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
All grounds are always tied together.

If power comes in at the switch assuming the fan/light has only one white wire both cable neutrals would be tied to the single fan/light neutral

If the power comes in at the fan/light then each cable would be used as a separate switch loop cable. One cable for each function. Only the grounds would be tied together.