Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

Light on ceiling fan dims, goes bright, dims -->moving ceiling fan can replicate

Light on ceiling fan dims, goes bright, dims -->moving ceiling fan can replicate

Old 05-07-11, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello and thanks for reading my post.

I installed a new ceiling fan. The light on the fan cycles between dim light and bright light. It does not have a dimmer or multiple light settings.

If the light is dim, I can move the fan and the light will turn bright. Is it possible that the wiring in the fan is defective, or did I connect the wires poorly? Or maybe its something completely different. Any suggestions on what may be the problem and any & all possible solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-11, 11:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Your saying you spin the fan blades by hand the lights get bright?

Did you wire the fan:
Black to black
black with a stripe or blue to black or red (if present)
all whites to white
green to ground.

Old 05-07-11, 11:27 PM
I will have to check tomorrow on how i setup the wiring (.....its past my bedtime). In regards to the moving of the fan, if I move the glass cover where the lights are housed, that can replicate the lights turning bright (i.e. the fan is already on and the lights are on, and if I move the light cover, it will turn the light brighter). I placed a link below to help clarify. Thanks again

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/...2011/photo.jpg

Old 05-08-11, 08:20 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Check the bulb is tight. Pull the light kit and check for loose conections. If it uses wirenuts on the light wires replace with new wire nuts.

Old 05-08-11, 08:25 AM
Could there be a dimmer in there so when you turn the glass it changes brightness? Otherwise, it is a loose connection.