Polishing Brass Outdoor Light Fixture

Old 05-13-11, 08:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Polishing Brass Outdoor Light Fixture

Hello -

I'm not sure this is the best place to post this question. If it belongs somewhere else, please let me know.

I have a few outdoor light fixtures that were installed by the builder about 10 years ago. They are brass colored but I don't know know if they are solid brass or plated. They are all showing corrosion or oxidization. Is there any way to clean these and make them look shiny and new? They work perfectly well but they could look a little better.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-11, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Those are typical brass plateded steel fixtures. Any type of cleaning or polishing that removes the oxidation will also remove some of the plating. Even then, the oxidized areas will just rust up again quickly.

If you really want to go to all the effort of taking them apart and sanding everything, then using a rust preventative primer and painting them...you could only expect the finish to last maybe a few years.

New fixtures are relatively cheap and come in lots of styles. Many are made with cast aluminum and won't rust or degrade for a long time.

After you reply, I'll move this to a better Forum...Lighting and Light Fixtures under the electrical Forum

Old 05-13-11, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Gunguy45. I was just pricing out new fixtures (I'd need 3 total) - after I saw the prices, I thought I'd try to rehab these. Guess that's not going to happen.

If I want to replace with similar fixtures that are still brass colored, is there something I should look for that will last longer?

Also, thanks for moving this post to the appropriate section. I actually posted this under hardware because the brass handle on my screen door is in similar condition but the manufacture is replacing that for me free of charge.

Old 05-21-11, 01:05 PM
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
Cast aluminum fixtures last a lot longer than brass plated steel. You might have to just go to a lighting showroom and see what's available in your price range. In my opinion, solid brass is best, but they are pricey.