Bathroom recessed lights dropped ceiling condensation

Old 05-17-11, 02:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom recessed lights dropped ceiling condensation

Hello
I have searched the net and am having difficulty finding a way to resolve my problem. I was hoping someone may be able to provide some guidance.

Problem - Dropped bathroom ceiling 10cm in order to install recessed lighting. Installed Ereatronic IP65 transformers and Brumberg IP65 recessed lights. 50w 12v halogens installed (total of 6 lights). Two lights located n shower box and 4 in the rest of the bathroom. The Brumberg fixtures did not have any cans just ip65 frame and cover with gu5.3 connector. Within an hour of turning on the lights i noticed the grout on the walls changing color and the paint on the ceiling bubbling at the edges. At first I thought it was a sudden water leak behind the tiles or from the upstairs neighbor turns out it was condensation. I am assuming that once the halogens were installed they heated the air in the dropped ceiling which came in contact with the cool tiles and concrete causing condensation. In the areas below the dropped ceiling condensation was forming because the 300w heated the air enough to cause condensation on the walls?

What steps should I take to resolve this problem?
-Spray Foam insulation up against the exposed concrete and tiles to prevent the condensation, or will the remaining airspace cause the same problem?
-Introduce some kind of vent to circulate the air?
-Install air tight ic cans (if available)?
-Install LED lights to reduce heat?
-Should I let the lights run for a while to dry out the space?

Background info - The apartment walls are concrete not drywall. The structure is made of brick and concrete no wood framing. The bathroom shares one wall with the neighbor, one with the common hallway, and two with the family room and kitchen. I have installed floor to ceiling tiles with horizontal metal trim. The ceiling was dropped after the tiles were installed so the tiles run up into the air space. Please let me know if you need any additional info.
The shower and faucet have not been used yet because the fixtures have not been connected yet so there is no excessive moisture in the bathroom yet. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-11, 06:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
It would be normal for cooler air or metal to cause the condensation from the warm moist air. I am not sure how the hotter fixtures would cause this. Hopefully others will have some ideas.

If the air is that moist you may have other issues.

Old 05-18-11, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Agreed, starting to think I should insulate the areas exposed to concrete and tile or introduce some non ip65 fixtures further away from the shower box to introduce some airflow, maybe both.