Connecting a Hunter 27186 to a three way switch

Old 06-08-11, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connecting a Hunter 27186 to a three way switch

I have a three way switch (2 switches going to a light and a ceiling fan and light), I would like to hook up 2 hunter 27186 remotes in the place of the switches. I want to put one of the receivers on the ceiling fan/light and the other receiver on the other light. The switches have two black wires and one white wire. I think what I need is for the power to the light and the ceiling fan/light be hot all the time because the power will be going through the receivers at the light and the ceiling fan/light. How do I deal with the 2 black wires and the one white wire at the switch box to accomplish this?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-11, 08:02 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have a three way switch (2 switches going to a light and a ceiling fan and light),
That does not sound like a three way switch. A three way switch is two switches at two different locations controlling a light or fan. Are the two switches in the same box?

The switches [remote transmitter] have two black wires and one white wire.
That does not sound like a three way transmitter. It sounds like a single fixture transmitter that requires a neutral.

Tell us how many switch boxes involved. Tell us how many two wire cables (black and white) and how many three wire cables (black, red, white) at each switch box. Tell us the connections.

Old 06-08-11, 08:21 AM
The receiver has a black and white lead that connect to the black and white wires coming out of the ceiling. It also has black, white and blue leads that go to the ceiling fan/light. the two wall switches (in different locations in the room) have two black wires and one white wire. I haven't taken down the second light but I am assuming it has two wires going to it. If I hook up the second receiver it will act as the switch when the hunter 27186 emitter tells it to turn on. I am thinking that if the power going to the light and the ceiling fan/light is hot all the time the receivers will act as the on/off switch. If that is the case then I need to take out the wall switches and wire it so that they are hot all the time.

Old 06-08-11, 10:47 AM
So you do not have a three way switch as stated in the title but two switches in different boxes. One is controlling a light separate from the fan and one controls the fan/light combo. Is that correct?

the two wall switches (in different locations in the room) have two black wires and one white wire.
Assuming cable that statement isn't correct, not enough wires. Is there two white wires wire nutted together at the back of the box and the two black wires to the switch?

Old 06-08-11, 12:29 PM
I have two switches on either side of the room. both switches will turn on the light and the fan light combo. the switch boxes have two black wires and one white wire going into them

Old 06-08-11, 12:42 PM
the switch boxes have two black wires and one white wire going into them
And your description is a problem. In Utah a residence would most likely be wired with cable. The cable would either have a black and white wire or a black, red, and white wire. You would not have two blacks and a white. What is the white connected to? Can you post pictures of the switches? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...your-post.html

If you have conduit you may be right but I would not expect to see those colors.