OK to use larger CFL bulb than incandescent?

Old 06-23-11, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OK to use larger CFL bulb than incandescent?

Is it OK to use a larger CFL equivalent bulb than the specified incandescent bulb?

For example, if the fixture says to use max 60w incandescent, can I use a 75w or even 100w CFL equivalent bulb? Either of those will still use much less than 60w, but not sure if it would be OK. Obviously don't want to create a fire hazard. Just looking for a way to get a little more lumens if possible. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-11, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yes...as long as the actual consumption of the CFL (14, 23, 27, etc) in watts is not more than the fixture rating, you can oversize.

Old 06-23-11, 08:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
You're not using a larger bulb - the equivalency is relating to light output, not power consumption.

My opinion, the equivalencies are not accurate, I always go up at least one notch because I find the CFL to not be as bright as the equivalent incandescent. Thus, in your case, I'd maybe go up two notches - if you're replacing 60w incandescents and want more light, I'd go with 100w equivalent CFLs (which actually use 26 watts, IIRC).

Old 06-23-11, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
OK. I didn't think it would be a problem. I think that lower light output of the CFLs is the biggest complaint about them. That and the color of the light.

Old 06-23-11, 09:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
My only complaint is the spool up period to full brightness; I do not use them in fixtures I tend to only have on for short periods of time.

Old 06-23-11, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I use them anywhere I can..and I always use the bright white (daylight?) almost blue light bulbs. Too much time spent in the Navy working in bright fluorescents I guess. Soft white incandescents and such are just way too yellow for me.