Outdoor Ceiling Fan Light Flashes On and Off

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-11, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor Ceiling Fan Light Flashes On and Off

About 6 months ago we had a Hunter Northshore ceiling fan installed on a new covered porch. It was installed with a Harbor Breeze remote from Lowes.

It's been working flawlessly until this morning. I noticed that the light on the fan was blinking on and off in about one second intervals. The remote still seemed to work - it would turn the light on as normal (no more blinking), or it would turn the fan rotation on. When I turned the light back off, it would continue to blink.

There are the standard incandescent bulbs that came with the fan installed.

The problem must be with the remote control receiver, right? The fan doesn't get power until the remote receiver sends it, correct? That's why I think the fan is probably fine and the receiver has gone bad.

Thanks for helping me troubleshoot!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-11, 02:05 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Could be a loose wire. You need to drop the fan and check all connections. If the installer used the fake wire nuts sometimes included with these fans they need to be replaced with real ones. The fakes have no spring inside, real ones do.

The fan doesn't get power until the remote receiver sends it
No it is simply a transmitter that controls a relay.
That's why I think the fan is probably fine and the receiver has gone bad
The receiver is part of the fan.

Old 06-27-11, 02:10 PM
I'll check it out but I didn't think it was a loose wire because the flashing is at a really steady rate.

Also, this is an add-on remote/receiver. The fan didn't come with it. This gets wired in to the fan between the fan wiring and electrical box wiring and sits in the fan canopy.

Thanks for response!

Old 06-27-11, 04:43 PM
Update:

The fixture also has a wall switch to turn it on/off. I had switched it off all day so that the fixture wouldn't flash.

When I turned it back on this evening it seems to be working normally - at least for the past hour or so (not flashing - and all the functions work as expected).

So, maybe it was a one time thing (ya right!) and the problem is gone now... we'll see.

Old 08-28-11, 11:07 AM
Having exact same issue...

My two-year old fan light started dimming irrespective of the wall dimmer control. Thought it was the dimmer, replaced it and then the light just starts blinking like you describe. Dimmer controls the light strength, but not the blinking speed - constant. This must be a Hunter issue.

Old 08-28-11, 12:44 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Just curious, but do you have a fluorescent light installed? They will flicker when used with a dimmer.

Old 08-28-11, 07:24 PM
Goldstar - no, incandescent bulbs. Good thought though.

PMblandinj - when you say you replaced the dimmer, is that a dimmer on the wall or a remote control dimmer?

Mine is all remote controlled.

I did have the problem again a few weeks ago but the light was blinking randomly, not at a steady pace like it was before. I bought a new remote control unit, I just haven't installed it yet to see if that makes the problem go away.

I'm not sure exactly how these things work but it seems like the remote control unit in the fan canopy would supply power to the fan and light so so I just don't see how the light would be able to blink randomly if the remote control unit was working properly and not supplying power to the light/fan.... just my thoughts, anyway.

Old 04-05-13, 10:53 AM
Lightbulb Hunter ceiling fans with light flashes on and off

Hunter ceiling fan with light flashes on and off in a steady rate are caused by a faulty wattage limiter. The limiter works like a thermal coupler. When the wattage exceeds the preset rating the circuit opens. It will happen many times until the wattage is reduced.
It is an easy item to replace. On a Hunter fan, it is a plugin item. The cost is about $25

Old 04-05-13, 03:27 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
This thread is closed to further posting, but can still be read.

Closed Thread