Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

Need help in finding 3" recessed light housing for 1 1/8" inch ceiling thickness

Need help in finding 3" recessed light housing for 1 1/8" inch ceiling thickness

Old 07-08-11, 04:12 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Need help in finding 3" recessed light housing for 1 1/8" inch ceiling thickness

I will cut to the chase. For our ceiling, we are installing a 5/8" dry wall, together with 1/2" soundproofing. This gives our ceiling a total of 1 1/8" thickness.

It turns out that the Eurofase 3" housing that I was going to use is not compatible with anything beyond the standard 5/8" thinkness. Basically, you cannot set the trim properly and it will not snap-in.

After doing much research, I can only find one brand/model which is adjustable for ceiling thickness of 1/2" up to 1 1/2". It is Halo H36TAT. It is sold at Home Depot and I have heard unkind things about the long-term quality of this device.

Can anyone recommend any other brand (model) options that would allow for 1 1/8" thickness to work? My wife and I definately want to have the soundproof later installed. We will be using 50-watt GU10 line-voltage lights and NEW housings.

Thank you in advance for your input / advice.

Old 07-08-11, 06:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Why not cut a larger hole like maybe 5-6" in the material above the finish drywall? That way the clips only need to grab the 1/2 or 5/8 thickness.

Old 07-09-11, 08:49 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unfortuantely, it doesn't work as the problem is for the trim to reach back to the base.

Old 07-09-11, 09:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The light unit will sit flush to the sheetrock, so there should be no problem for the trim sitting flush. How are they mounted? Are they old work or new boxes? Is it accessible from above?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: