Clg fan wiring questions for ground wire and "pop" noise

Old 07-10-11, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clg fan wiring questions for ground wire and "pop" noise

First of all - I am new to this forum and thanks in advance for the replies.
My question is this. I had a clg fan in my family room and took it down to replace it with a new one. I installed the new one and when I went to turn my switch on at the wall - the clg fan "popped" and would not come on. I turned the power off and removed the fan. I had one more ground wire on the new one as opposed to the "old" fan. The new fan has a green wire from the motor, one off of the mounting bracket and then the bare ground wire coming from the box. I connected all three together - was that correct? What could have caused the "pop" sound and do you think my clg fan may be toast if it "popped"? Thanks and hope to get a reply from someone soon.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-11, 05:43 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The new fan has a green wire from the motor, one off of the mounting bracket and then the bare ground wire coming from the box. I connected all three together -
That was correct. Sometimes a wire will come loose when you install the fan. If you used the wire nuts that came with the fan they may not have a spring inside. Hook it up again being very careful of the connections and try again. and see if it works.

Old 07-10-11, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply! I will be trying it again on Monday morning. I will let you know how it did or how I did,lol. Thanks again!