2 fan switches & 1 fan light switch?? (3way & simple switch in one circuit)

Old 07-22-11, 08:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 fan switches & 1 fan light switch?? (3way & simple switch in one circuit)

Ok, I think whoever wired my home made a boo boo. or its just been so long since I did any final electrical I'm extremely rusty.

In my family room I just installed a ceiling fan (never was one there before, just a cover). there are 3 boxes (including the fan mount). below is a picture of the wires i have in the walls (not the switches).. I wont be adding new wires, not worth the hassle.

The way its setup right now is there is a 3way switch in the first box in the circuit, and in the 2 gang box there is a regular switch & another 3 way. as it is right now its more of a combination lock then a set of switches.. one acts like a master then it doesnt, I'm lost

What I want (was told i had) is 2 switches for the fan, and one switch for the light fixture on the fan. I don't know if what i want is possible with whats in the walls already, if it cant be done with these drops I'll just make the light work off the chain and call it a day.

I think i have been looking at it too long my brain is fried, if someone can help me out with a quick drawing i will be soooo happy

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-11, 09:42 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Assuming you don't have a second 3-way switch you need a 3-wire (+ground) cable between one of the switch boxes and fan.