Replacing the globe on a ceiling fan

Old 07-24-11, 06:20 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing the globe on a ceiling fan

Hi all,

I have a Hunter "Sonic" 50" Ceiling Fan with a cracked glass globe over the light. Hunter is supposed to be sending me a new one but it's been back-ordered for a good three months already. I would like to replace it, but this globe isn't the type that's held in by screws. Instead, the globe has a metal rim with three sort-of-L-shaped tabs that fit into three tabs on the fixture. You have to push the globe up and turn it to lock it in.

Can anyone tell me what this kind of fitting is called? I don't necessarily need to get the same globe; any globe that will fit and looks right will do.

Thanks,
- Steve

Old 07-24-11, 07:17 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I believe that it's called a bayonet lock.

Old 07-25-11, 07:10 AM
R
Hi Goldstar,

Thanks very much! I looked up the term and it does seem like this is a kind of bayonet lock, but Hunter doesn't use that term. I did, however, come across a reference to Hunter "Easy Lock" glass globes, which I think describes what I have. Does that ring a bell for anyone? Any recommendations as to where I should be shopping?

Thanks,
- Steve

Old 07-25-11, 07:35 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Steve,
Any of these look similar?
Hunter Globes - Shop Smarter.com

Bud

Old 07-25-11, 11:21 AM
R
Hi Bud,

Thanks. Some of the globes looks similar but it's impossible me to tell from those thumbnail images if they would fit my fan. Anyway, I don't really care about getting the exact same globe or even a Hunter product - I just want something with the same locking mechanism that looks good.

I've been trying to get in touch with Hunter about this but they are making it impossible to contact them. There is a minimum 1/2-hour hold time for their support line, their voicemail hangs up on you before you can leave a message, and the "contact" form on their Web site just times out.

- Steve

Last edited by stickshift; 07-25-11 at 12:00 PM. Reason: removed quoting of entire post

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: