Exterior Ceiling Lighting Conumdrum

Old 07-28-11, 11:58 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exterior Ceiling Lighting Conumdrum

I have installed an exterior ceiling light over my porch... all the wires are connected correctly and I measure voltage at all the contact points.... However, none of my bulbs (CFL or Incandescent) seem to work. The CFL flickers as I am inserting it into the socket but when fully inserted, nothing.....

Help???

CFL = Compact Fluorescent

Old 07-28-11, 12:45 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Manax and welcome to the forum. I'm not a pro but I can get you started. How is your light wired, power going to the light and a switch leg to the switch or power to the switch and switched power to the light? Or do you have multiple switches such as a 3 or 4 way?

Bud

Old 07-28-11, 01:02 PM
M
Originally Posted by Bud9051
Hi Manax and welcome to the forum. I'm not a pro but I can get you started. How is your light wired, power going to the light and a switch leg to the switch or power to the switch and switched power to the light? Or do you have multiple switches such as a 3 or 4 way?

Bud
Hey Bud,
I have power going to a switch from the mains then onto the exterior light - one switch, one light... it is one of those programmable switches if that helps...

Old 07-28-11, 01:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Can you replace the programable switch with a regular switch to see if the fixture works properly?

Old 07-28-11, 01:24 PM
M
Originally Posted by pcboss
Can you replace the programable switch with a regular switch to see if the fixture works properly?
I could certainly try.... however, I am measuring power at the exterior light fixture when the switch is 'on'....

Old 07-28-11, 01:37 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I could certainly try.... however, I am measuring power at the exterior light fixture when the switch is 'on'....
If you are using a digital multimeter or a non-contact tester that reading may be inaccurate.

Old 07-29-11, 05:20 AM
M
Okay... so I removed the programmable switch and hooked up the switch which was next to it which operates the hallway light... and voila, it worked... so i am guess I have a faulty programmable switch..

Old 07-29-11, 05:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Or a programmable switch that is incompatible with CFL's.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: