bathroom exhaust fan light bulb change

Old 09-07-11, 09:27 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bathroom exhaust fan light bulb change

hello all. i have a nutone bathroom exhaust fan with a light. i need to change a burnt out bulb but i'm in need of guidance. the fixture is square with a center glass. there are no screws. i discovered that it will pull down, approximately 2 inches. how do i get it off? i can't see up along the sides to see what needs to be done to get it off. will the glass come off independently of the rest of the fixture? i don't want to force something and i certainly don't want to break the glass! please walk me through this bulb change if you would. thanks in advance.

Old 09-07-11, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Normally if you feel around the perimeter you will feel two spring wires (sorta like an open safety pin) on 2 opposite sides. Squeeze the wide ends together and it should come off. Sometimes the glass is not secured in the metal frame around it...but just rests in it.

I hope the whole fixture isn't pulling down...but just the lens assy?

You may be able to go to the Broan/Nutone site and find a similar model. Pretty sure they have install instructions there.

Old 09-07-11, 11:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The grill pulls down from the ceiling. Like Vic said you will see two legs on each side of the grill. Squeeze them together and the grill should release from the housing. You may only need to release one side.

Old 06-29-12, 05:53 AM
R
My NuTone light/vent/heat uses 2 screws

My Heat/Light/Vent has a round metal grill and there are two screws you have to loosen to remove the grill. The screws are accessed through the grill and once loosened you can turn the grill slightly and then drop it (or take the screws all the way out of course). The heads of mine were covered with powder making it hard to see them. Look through the grill for two tabs. The screws are in that.

Old 06-29-12, 06:49 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
rfrenkel123, welcome to the forums and thanks for replying to the post with helpful information but the post is almost a year old.

Old 07-08-12, 06:33 AM
S
The reason people should reply to old threads is because months and years later, other people are Googling for the same answers to the same questions.

I'll chime in and recommend that someone who owns a Nutone fan/light fixture NOT grab the housing and pull down unless you know it is designed like that. Find out which you have by model number and find the installation sheet online. Most do not have model numbers on the outside so do a Google image search on it and look until you see the picture of the one you have, then go from there.

My case, I have a Nutone model which has a white plastic housing and a rectangular grey translucent light cover. Inserting a butter knife in the slot that divides the light cover and the housing (long edge) releases a large retaining tab that allows only the light cover to come off.

If I had grabbed the side of the housing and pulled down, I would have had to add a trip to Lowes today. Luckily, I did find the literature online.

Old 07-08-12, 07:27 AM
Welcome to the forums. Thanks for the information.

Old 09-01-12, 10:59 AM
P
Nutone light / fan fixture - replacing bulb (model number 763RL9 / 769RL)

@sgayres - thanks for your guidance on the lens removal process; I used it to change out the bulb in my NuTone fixture model 763RL9 (apparently will work on model 769RL as well). You are correct in saying that responding to old threads with good information is very useful to others who have the same question months later. The large retaining tab is approximately in the center of the long side.

One additional item: replacing the burnt out filament bulb with a CF bulb was a little difficult - the clearance is tight.

Old 09-01-12, 11:34 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Slightly off-topic but this is a good reason to save the installation and operation instructions for EVERYTHING installed in a house. Keep them in a three-ring binder, either by punching holes or by use of the plastic sleeves. When you sell the house leave the binder, the new owners will thank you.

This applies to builders as well.

Old 09-01-12, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Furd...I do and did exactly that when I sold my last place. Every appliance, furnace, electronic locks, GDO, even the Andersen patio door. I still have the manuals and receipts for every tool or gun I've bought......though might be time to clear some of those out.

Old 04-20-13, 04:27 PM
F
rfrenkel - many thanks 2013 i have just changed my fan light and unlike 98%of the web I own a 2 screw model too!!!

Old 04-20-13, 04:34 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Frank, and thank you for the feedback.

Old 09-14-14, 11:24 AM
T
Cool bathroom fan light bulb

Even tho it was an old thread, the advice helped me out a lot or I would have taken the whole friggin thing apart. It's a Nutone as well, and I just popped the light cover off, pulled out the bulb and replaced it! Love this site! Didn't have to bug the man about it!

Old 09-14-14, 12:08 PM
Glad we could help.

Old 10-26-14, 11:51 AM
J
Good advice, I have the Nutone bathroom fan and light fixture as well from a house that we just purchased and needed to change the bulb. No manuals were included for these so I started to pull it out of the ceiling but thought I would google it first. Found this thread and took the advice listed, I just had to push the sides in on the plastic light cover to pop the cover out and replace the bulb. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: