Replacing fluorescents in kitchen

Old 09-15-11, 05:51 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing fluorescents in kitchen

Rookie question here but haven't been able to find answer scouring the web

We have a gigantic light "box" on the ceiling in a smallish kitchen, within the box are 2 fluorescent fixtures, each holds 2 bulbs. Anyway, my plan is to replace this beast with a flush mount non-fluorescent light of some sort. So

2 questions:
1) Each fluorescent fixture has it's own cable coming out of ceiling. Obviously I don't need that many wires for a single flush mount so what do I do with the extra cable wires? Cap 'em and stuff back in ceiling?

2) Will the existing wires for the fluorescent work with a incandescent fixture? If not, is something I could handle on my own (very basic electric knowledge)?

I'm willing to hire someone but just seems fairly simple and I prefer to DIY, so figured I'd ask.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-11, 06:18 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
what do I do with the extra cable wires? Cap 'em and stuff back in ceiling?
No that would be a code violation. Best plan is to find where it comes from then and disconnect and abandon in place. The other option is terminating it in a junction box. Since you will need a box for your new light you could run it to that box and cap it off.

Will the existing wires for the fluorescent work with a incandescent fixture?
Yes. If it is old 60 cable though you will have to be sure the fixture is compatible. Most modern fixtures, especially enclosed ones, require 90 wire.

Last edited by pcboss; 09-15-11 at 07:23 PM.