14-3 cable to 14-2 cable light socket help

Old 09-17-11, 12:45 PM
14-3 cable to 14-2 cable light socket help

I want to make a pendant but I did not think about the light socket only using two wires. So right now I want to hook the light socket to the 14-3 cable but it only needs a 14-2 cable. Can I just cap the ground wire and connect black to black and white to white wire?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-11, 01:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 1
Yes .

Old 09-17-11, 02:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 6
Cables labeled like 14-3 would have a black, red and a white along with a ground, 14-2 would be a black and a white and a ground.

The fixture should be grounded unless it is non-conductive.

Old 09-17-11, 03:21 PM
The 14-3 I have has a black, white, and green wire. But it is labeled for power cord so the wires are not solid copper. The light fixture is just a lamp light bulb socket that needs a hot and neutral wire and no ground.

Old 09-18-11, 06:59 AM
Are you saying that you have stranded wires coming into you electrical box? That the conductor used is not Romex, but something made to be a power cord, or that you are connecting a power cord to a lamp to make a pendant and will use the power cord to suspend the lamp? The confusing part for me is that you describe the 3 wire as 14/3 but then say it is not solid copper. Do you just mean a 3 wire stranded conductor at whatever guage it turns out to be?

Old 09-18-11, 07:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 6
The Op has used a flexible cord to wire the pendant fixture. With flex cord the nomenclature is different and the grounding conductor is counted in the description. What would be 14-2 in house wiring would be labeled 14-3 in flex cord.

I don't see this as any different than many common lighting fixtures, except for the lack of grounding.