flagpole lighting?

Old 09-28-11, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
flagpole lighting?

On our business property we discovered cover/box this in the ground by the flagpole area, perhaps likely intended at one time for installation of a light fixture to illuminate the flagpole at night.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...royal002-1.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...royal001-1.jpg
We're considering installing such a light in that box but first of all would need to have a clue how to go about running an electrical supply line within that conduit, even if we could determine where the other end of the conduit is located. Any comments/advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-11, 09:39 PM
That was a weird response.

Old 09-28-11, 09:39 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As for finding the other end, it could be anywhere.. Do you see any more of those covers anywhere? Are there any junction boxes that have several pipes going to them in the vicinity?

If there's nothing obvious, you're going to need to use a 'sonic tracer'.. Same principle as the 'pipe intercom' in an old ship. Get a small piezo siren that's small enough to fit inside the conduit. Something like this: PC-Board 12VDC 70dB Piezo Buzzer - RadioShack.com. This is louder, but larger, and would have to be taped over the mouth of the conduit, it won't fit inside: 102dB Piezo Siren - RadioShack.com.

So basically you're sending a loud noise down the pipe, and listening for where it comes out the other end. I think that's your best bet for finding the other end if you have no idea where it is.

Old 09-28-11, 09:42 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by sgull View Post
That was a weird response.
It's a spammer. No clue why the effort was made to garble it though, probably something for search engine spiders to lock onto.

Old 09-29-11, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by JerseyMatt View Post
Do you see any more of those covers anywhere? Are there any junction boxes that have several pipes going to them in the vicinity? If there's nothing obvious, you're going to need to use a 'sonic tracer'.. I think that's your best bet for finding the other end if you have no idea where it is.
No, there's nothing obvious in the vicinity like other covers around or j-boxes. I'll give the piezo buzzer or siren idea a try. I'm hoping the local Radio Shack will stock one, and if so I could probably try that today. Thanks JerseyMatt for the helpful suggestion.

Old 09-29-11, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 207 Votes on 184 Posts
Since it is a business, I would suspect the pipe would go to the nearest wall and either end up above the ceiling inside or a receptacle or switch box. That or it would run to the nearest electrical room.

You could also try stuffing a fish tape in the pipe until you hit something. The bounce it around and listen for the noise.

Old 09-30-11, 01:36 PM
Okay I haven't tried any of the suggested methods yet. But I was looking around in the vicinity and there are three nearby light poles like this one http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...royal004-1.jpg right across the driveway. I opened the access panel in the back of one of the poles and did see down in there, several inches down, the cut ends of two conduits like the one sticking in out in the flagpole ground box (pictured in first post here). I can see that out of each of the conduit ends there are three separate wires (red, green, and white), like this http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...royal003-1.jpg, three of each color of which extend on upward within the pole to the light fixture on top. Does it seem logical that just for a single light on a single pole there should be this many wires, with the two conduits, within? If not, could this maybe be a clue that one of the conduits with wire in there leads to the flagpole ground box?

Old 09-30-11, 02:32 PM
T
I've never tried tracing a conduit before, & was going to suggest a fish tape like someone else did. Then I got to wondering, if you had access to a fog machine, you could shoot fog through it & wherever it comes out... well. Stick a hose over the outlet nozzle & then into the end of the conduit. Or maybe compressed air. Just thinking outside the box...

TexasFire

Old 09-30-11, 02:46 PM
Problem is, right now I don't have access to a fog machine, or a sonic device as mentioned, or compressed air, or even a fish tape. All I have, as of yet anyway, are the suggestions

Old 09-30-11, 04:01 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I wonder if you could use a gallon plastic jug with water and dry ice to make "smoke" persistent enough to come out the other end? You would just fasten a hose between the neck of the jug and the conduit. Wouldn't want to use hose clamps so is there was excess pressure build up the hose would just pop off.

Old 09-30-11, 04:54 PM
So I was able to attach a short length of garden hose to the end of the conduit down there in the ground box. Then I tried blowing into the hose as hard as I could but couldn't blow; obvious restriction somewhere. So then I took a 25' drain snake like this Amazon.com: Cobra Products 83250 1/4-Inch-by-25-Foot Metal Drain Clearing Drum Auger: Home Improvement to see how far it would go in. Made it only six feet before it hit something hard/solid and wouldn't go anymore...

Old 09-30-11, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
It would make perfect sense to me to run the flagpole lighting off the parking lot lighting. Then it would come on at the same time using the same photocell or timer.

That pipe is pretty small, your snake may have just hit a fitting or a bend. It is also possible that the pipe was damaged when the drive was installed and it was just abandoned.

Open the other light poles and see if you have one with an empty pipe. Each pole will have at least two pipes with wires except the last one. If you think the closest light pole might be the last one try tugging on a set of wires. They might come out if the pipe was broken and the wires cut.

Old 09-30-11, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
That pipe is pretty small, your snake may have just hit a fitting or a bend.
Open the other light poles and see if you have one with an empty pipe. Each pole will have at least two pipes with wires except the last one. If you think the closest light pole might be the last one try tugging on a set of wires. They might come out if the pipe was broken and the wires cut.
Okay, I'll take a good look inside the other light poles as you suggest (tomorrow probably). Also, if the snake just hit a fitting or bend and that's all that stopped it, then it still seems like I should have been able to blow at least somewhat freely into my hose, (doesn't it?) but I couldn't blow at all.

Old 09-30-11, 08:32 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by sgull View Post
Also, if the snake just hit a fitting or bend and that's all that stopped it, then it still seems like I should have been able to blow at least somewhat freely into my hose, (doesn't it?) but I couldn't blow at all.
Yes, I would think you could blow through it unless it is full of water, which sometimes happens to underground pipes. I kind of suspect the pipe has been damaged. Maybe by the driveway, maybe by sprinkler system installers (Which happens a lot).
You can also push the snake in and mark it with tape where it stops. Then, pull it out and lay it on the ground. That will give you an approximate location of a break.

Old 10-01-11, 06:32 AM
Received 86 Votes on 76 Posts
You can also push the snake in and mark it with tape where it stops. Then, pull it out and lay it on the ground. That will give you an approximate location of a break.
I think I'd try this, but with a fish tape. It's possible it just might give you the distance to the other end of the conduit. Then you could use this measurement as a radius and see what pole or other box you can find this same distance away from the in-ground junction box. I agree that the conduit probably comes from one of the site lighting poles.

Old 10-01-11, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by CasualJoe View Post
I think I'd try this, but with a fish tape. It's possible it just might give you the distance to the other end of the conduit.
Use a fish tape instead of my snake because a fish tape is more likely to be able to pass whatever it is stopping my snake at 6 feet in?