Converting recessed lights to flush mount light

Old 10-05-11, 10:57 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Converting recessed lights to flush mount light

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong area, may belong in the "wall and ceiling" forum more, or may be not.

I have an outdoor kitchen area where there are currently two recessed lights. Those are old 7" cans mounted on the underside of a soffit. I would like to change them to use adjustable task lights, where the light source can be changed a little to point in different directions.

The problem is the soffit is built with T1-11 wood boards with a 2" on center tongue and groove pattern.

Since the circular hole is 7", most of the undermount task lights have a smaller base and will not cover up that big a hole. I can mount a new ceiling box no problem but am not sure what to do with the big hole. If it's sheetrock I can just patch it, I am wondering if there exist any sort of a "base plate" for such purposes?

The other option is to stick with recessed lights but swap them out with the recessed light that can mount those adjustable lamps inside?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-11, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 208 Votes on 185 Posts
I know of nothing that will cover a 7 hole. I suggest getting some adjustable eyeball trims for your cans.

Old 10-05-11, 11:20 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
my existing cans are 40 years old, they are corroded partially, and the wires have this cloth insulation that is getting very brittle. It is made by "Underwriters Laboratory" and there is no way to "upgrade" them without replacing them. These can were mounted as "New Construction" and I can ease the cans out but the original "Frame" will still be on the inside and top of the wood panel. I tried looking for a replacement REMODEL can and I found nothing that fits the existing opening (6-3/4" diameter hole). May be I need to increase the hole size by nailing a piece of wood across the hole on the inside and cut a large circle. But I am not sure what that would do to the rectangular frame on the inside.

Old 10-05-11, 11:33 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The carpenter in me would say make decorative rosets about 9" in diameter from pine 1X10 and dress them up a bit with a router and ogee bit around the edge. Nail and glue in place and cut a hole for the new light. Stain in a matching or contrasting color.