Kitchen flourescent issue

Old 10-14-11, 04:13 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen flourescent issue

The flourescent light in my kitchen has been giving me issues and I'm not sure what else to do to diagnose the problem. The light is controlled by two switches (one located at each entrance to the kitchen) and has four bulbs. It is likely original to the house. Several months ago (after several years of working without a problem) it failed to turn on using either switch. I replaced the most commonly used switch thinking that it had essentially worn out. This solved the problem for about a week. Then the problem returned. I subsequently replaced all four bulbs (two had burned out and I'm not sure how long ago that happened). This solved the problem for several months (up until today). At this point I don't know if the problem is the remaining switch, the ballast, the entire fixture or some other issue that I'm ignorant about. Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks.

Old 10-14-11, 04:42 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I'd replace the other switch first and remove and replace all wire nuts. Be sure to mark which wire that is on the common terminal (on the odd colored screw) and put it on the common of the new switch. You must go by color of screw not position. Position can be different for different manufacturers. Usually the common terminal is dark colored.

If that doesn't help pull the cover over the ballasts. There is usually two. Trace the wires from each ballast to the bulb socket (tombstone) it powers. Try new bulbs in that set of tombstones. Then try on the two tombstones powered by the other ballast. Check the ballasts for signs of "tar" leaking out. Also check the ballast temperature with your hand. Is it too hot to touch or warm or cold?

Old 10-15-11, 10:49 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I haven't had time to go out and buy a new switch so i pulled off the ballast cover to check them. There's only one ballast. Its warm in the middle and room temp on the ends. I didn't see any tar. When i turn the suspect light switch on my tester pen picks up a current at the ballast. When i switch it off the current disappears. Is it worth replacing the switch or do u think this is a ballast issue?

Old 10-15-11, 11:01 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
THe neutral could still be open. Put a analog multimeter or test lamp between line and neutral. If the light lights or the meter shows power change the ballast.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: