auto timer for lights in cellar ( flour)

Old 10-28-11, 01:22 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
auto timer for lights in cellar ( flour)

I had part of my house rebuilt and all new wiring , I access the cellar from inside the house and turn the lights on at the top. I have no switch in the cellar and would like to install an auto turn on device. we have these at work and as soon as you enter the room it will turn the lights on. My question
Can this be placed in series with the light wiring , These are flourescent 8' units and run on 120vac.are the same timer units used for flourescent as well as incandescent lights? any suggestions and diagrams will help.
thanks,
Rickey

Old 10-28-11, 02:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
It is wired just like a regular switch except it will require a neutral at the switch box. There are two kinds of occupancy switches. One type does not require a neutral but it will not work with fluorescent lights. Be sure the one you get uses a neutral. If the switch has just two wires and a ground it is the wrong kind. If it has a white, black, red it is probably correct.

You do know these can leave you in the dark if you don't move around enough in the basement?

Above assumes you mean an occupancy switch but your description is some what contradictory. A timer would need to be manually turned on but you mentioned auto turn on which sounds like an occupancy switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: