Bulb in Recessed light burns out often?

Old 11-17-11, 05:12 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bulb in Recessed light burns out often?

I have 6 recessed lights in the kitchen ceiling and one particular one has the bulb burn out way more often than the others. Any ideas why this may be or what I should check? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-11, 09:13 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You need to check the tab at the bottom to make sure you have good contact with the bulb and if that isn't it you need to start checking connections. That means pulling the trim and dropping the can to get to the Jbox. A bad connection could be at the light itself or at a connection in a light that supplies power to the problematic light if they are daisy chained.

Old 11-17-11, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well, if the bulb is burning out...you might want to check (if you can) for insulation around the can if it's not rated for such. That can cause overheating which will shorten the life of the bulb.

Also, I know this sounds strange, but see if you are getting any vibrations on the housing during normal use. Make sure the range hood is on, or bath fan if adjacent to the kitchen. Possibly even dishwasher or garbage disposal. Vibration will kill a lightbulb.

Old 11-17-11, 05:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 208 Votes on 185 Posts
I have seen what GG posted many times. A light bulb burning out because it is near a door or stairs. Vibration breaks the white hot filament and the bulb fails. Try installing a "rough service" bulb and see if that will last.