Cleanest means of connecting track lights

Old 11-19-11, 03:32 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cleanest means of connecting track lights

Took same pic of the 1 posted in this thread to lighting store but found the salesperson was not much help. Picked up couple of items he suggested but they were of no help.

There's a single gang metal box mounted in a sloped ceiling and I want to run a power source from the box over to the 2X6 beam, a distance of 8 1/2" from the edge of the box, and mount the track to the edge of the 2X6 that runs in the same direction as the sloped ceiling. Posting pic but not sure if it makes description any clearer. I am thinking if there's a track light power box that will mount directly to the 2 gang box then perhaps a short piece of track that I could run along the ceiling to the 2X6 beam and then use a flex connector for the 90 degree angle that will rotate and plug into track mounted to the 2" side of the 2X6. Any suggestions, comments appreciated. Thank you!!dave

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-11, 04:57 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Different lighting companies have different accessories for their particular lines of track lighting. I have no doubt that if you went to an electrical distributor you would be given several choices. Track lighting also has rigid 90 degree fittings.

Another possibility is to use Wiremold (or equivalent) surface wiring materials.

And for the record, the clerk you spoke with at the lighting store must have been pretty new not to know what to suggest and also somewhat stupid to not refer you to a more experienced salesperson. Just my opinion.

Old 11-19-11, 07:59 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Do you mean the 2X6 against the ceiling? Do you have any access from above? Do you actually want to mount the track on the Sheetrock next to the beam or on the 2X6?

Old 11-19-11, 10:44 PM
L
I want to mount the track on the 2X6 'B'. I have since removed the tape used to cover the plate for texturing. The lead coming out of the box is approx. 10" long. Further, the beams will be framed in 1X6surfaced redwood to cover both beams which should provide a total of 2 1/4" of surface to mount the track on.

Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Do you mean the 2X6 against the ceiling? Do you have any access from above? Do you actually want to mount the track on the Sheetrock next to the beam or on the 2X6?

Old 11-20-11, 06:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
Could the cable lead be moved closer to the beam and the hole patched and still leave enough to make the connections? I am thinking about a track end feed that does not have a box.

Old 11-20-11, 08:20 AM
L
Does provide another option, if not better. I have a 24" piece of a white drop lamp cord left over from another project; if I can poke a hole and feed the cord thru and into the junction box, then use a cover plate; perhaps even paint and texture. On the other use a live end connector for the track. Wow, I think that may be the best way to go!! Really appreciate the suggestions. Thank you, dave

Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
Could the cable lead be moved closer to the beam and the hole patched and still leave enough to make the connections? I am thinking about a track end feed that does not have a box.

Old 11-20-11, 08:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
White flex cord should not be used behind the building finish. You would need to use a cable like NM cable or another Chapter 3 recognized method.

Old 11-20-11, 08:53 AM
L
Thank you pcboss!! Can I run NM cable 14-2 thru to the juction box then remove the shielding from the section of wire coming out the new opening and run those wires thru white flexible tubing, about 3-4" to the track end feed connector?

White flex cord should not be used behind the building finish. You would need to use a cable like NM cable or another Chapter 3 recognized method.

Old 11-20-11, 08:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do not strip the sheath off the NM. Just slide the cable as-is thru the flex.

Old 11-20-11, 09:19 AM
L
Will do. Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. this forum is great, or as my grandson would say 'it rocks'.
Do not strip the sheath off the NM. Just slide the cable as-is thru the flex.