cons of ceiling fan in kitchen? grounding issue with body

Old 10-08-12, 02:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
No, that should do it.

Old 10-08-12, 03:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
For the record, I am now 100% convinced you have a bad ground.

Old 10-09-12, 04:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
There appears to be the ground from the cable attached to a screw just to the left of the open knockout. I too think the problem is an open splice, perhaps in the switch box.

Old 10-10-12, 05:13 PM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
quick question..didnt get to the box yet but the line still runs from the ballast to the ground in the utility room...

however the light wont start up all the time now. if you wait a few min it will turn on though

the question is: even i fthe ground in the switches are bad, sholdnt the light light up right away with the direct wire to my box?

Old 10-10-12, 05:29 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You may have a ballast going bad.

Old 10-22-12, 06:16 AM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
to end this saga i got this

Shop allen + roth White Acrylic Ceiling Fluorescent Light at Lowes.com

i had another one picked out online in clearance but no stores had it..i dont konw why they even advertise it then..sigh...so went and just got this one..t8 68 watts surprised me..it's pretty much as bright as the 6 standard 20 watters in the old fixture

the old fixture was very heavy and cumbersome to take down..was held up by toggle bolts and i reused 2 of the holes on the new light and new toggles on 3 of the holes..i hate those cheapo anchors the include with the kit..do you want your life hanging in the balance of them? not me

i also discovered that about 6 inches away from the current line from the ceiling was the actual ceiling box..apparently when they went from a tiny circular light to a large square one it couldnt fit between the beams..so they ran a wire over a few inches...i also saw the ground from the new wire was screwed onto the electrical box itself..i took it off there and hooked it up to the other groundwire in the box directly.

and there was one other wire in that box so it feeds somewhere else.just not sure lol..but doesnt matter..it all works, it's definitely secure with oversized toggles and it works 100% of the time ..what more could i ask

i momentarily thought about hanging th elight in the utility room or garage but didnt want to hang up a known poorly working fixture..the spring cleanup guys that drive around in pickup trucks can have it

Old 10-22-12, 12:06 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I'm glad you got it working, but I do see one remaining question.

When you say
i also discovered that about 6 inches away from the current line from the ceiling was the actual ceiling box..apparently when they went from a tiny circular light to a large square one it couldnt fit between the beams..so they ran a wire over a few inches...i also saw the ground from the new wire was screwed onto the electrical box itself..i took it off there and hooked it up to the other groundwire in the box directly.

and there was one other wire in that box so it feeds somewhere else.just not sure lol..but doesnt matter.
are you saying that you found a covered J-box in the ceiling with splices in it and that, after reworking the ground connection there, you left it in the ceiling?

If so, how are you planning to bring that into compliance with the code?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: