Bathroom Light Blowing Fuse

Old 11-22-11, 05:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Light Blowing Fuse

I currently have a bathroom light that when swithced on blows the fuse in the fuse box (quite an old fuse box system). I've replaced lightbulbs/fuse wire many times this morning and still cant get it working. The light is turned on by a pull cord switch which i've opened up and looked at and cant see any loose wires or anything of the sort, same goes for the actual light fitting on the ceiling.

I've been up into the loft to check on the wiring to see if anything is loose or burnt out but cant see anything unusual or loose up there either.

Are there any of things it could possibly be before i have to phone an electrician out to come have a look at it?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-11, 06:44 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Short Circuit

Look for burned or sooty spots where a hot wire may be coming in contact with a bare ground. This sometimes happens when a fixture or switch is installed in a crowded box. Damaged insulation on a current carrying conductor can also be a problem. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-22-11, 07:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
Just a note to any other posters that the OP is in the UK.

Old 11-22-11, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The easiest fix is to just replace the pull string fixture. You could probably test this by turning it on without a bulb in it and see what happens. If the wiring to the fixture is good, it would probably pop the fuse without a bulb in it when you turn it on. don't know about the UK but these fixtures are really cheap in Toronto.

Good Luck with it!
Jim