Lighting in Parallel?

Old 11-26-11, 05:16 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lighting in Parallel?

How do I light 12 lights in parallel? I have 12 light sockets that only have a silver screw and a gold color screw. The wiring that I have has black, white, copper wirring. I am wiring it to a dimmer switch with 2 black wires 1 green wire. I am wiring the dimmer switch to a 3 prong wire head. The light bulbs are 38 watts each. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-11, 06:09 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Please explain your project more fully. The mention of 38 watt bulbs is puzzling unless they are not incandescent.

Old 11-27-11, 11:50 AM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Light fixture Connections

How do I light 12 lights in parallel? I have 12 light sockets that only have a silver screw and a gold color screw. The wiring that I have has black, white, copper wirring.
At the fixture, connect the incoming black, the outgoing black and a black pig tail. Connect the other end of the black pig tail to the brass screw on the fixture.

In a similar manner, connect the incoming white, the outgoing white, and a white pigtail. Connect the other end of the pig tail to the silver screw on the fixture.

Connect all grounds together.

Old 11-27-11, 01:41 PM
D
was just explaing the watt that are being used for the light bulbs. making sure it wasn't drawing to much power. I am making a ring light for video purposes. I connected all the black and white and copper wiring. Connected the wires to the dimmer switch. and connected the dimmer switch to the 3 wires and connected that to a 3 prong male plug. I connected it to an extension cord. The extension cord was plugged into a surge protector. I tried it with 1 light bulb and it worked for about 2 seconds and heard a pop. The surge protector popped. I checked the 3 prong male plug and saw 1 of the top prongs had a burnt mark on it. I tried it again and heard a pop again. I unplugged it from the surge protector and now the surge protector doesn't work. Should I plug it into the wall without the surge protector. Or what should I do! Thanks for your help.

Old 11-27-11, 02:19 PM
You may also have fried the dimmer.

Is this how you wired it? At the dimmer blacks to the dimmer and whites only connected to each other? Almost sounds like you connected whites to the dimmer or had a bare wire.

If the lamp holders have no ground and are not in metal junction boxes no grounds to the lamp holder, only to the green wire of the dimmer if present. and dimmer Jbx if metal.

Note white goes to the wide blade of the plug.

Old 11-27-11, 02:23 PM
D
yes that's how I wired it but also used a ground wire. The ground was not connected to any of the light sockets. but was connected via piggytailed to all the copper wires and then to the green wire to the dimmer switch and to the ground screw on the 3 prong male plug.

Old 11-27-11, 02:35 PM
Then it sounds like an acidental short. Check all wiring carefully.

Old 11-27-11, 02:40 PM
D
since the dimmer switch had 2 black wires. I connected 1 of the black wires coming off the dimmer switch to a black wire. The other black wire coming off the dimmer switch I connected to a white wire. The green wire was connected to the copper wire.

Old 11-27-11, 02:45 PM
The other black wire coming off the dimmer switch I connected to a white wire.
Wrong. You created a dead short. That is why it blew. The two whites are tied to nothing else but each other and the silver screws at each lamp holder.

If this is to be used in a theatrical production I strongly suggest you get an electrician to wire it.

Old 11-27-11, 02:48 PM
D
do i connect the 2 black wires comming off the dimmer switch the the 1 black wires connected to the light socket?

Old 11-27-11, 02:51 PM
D
so the whites will only be connected to other white wires and then to 1 of the 3 prong plug connectors correct? This is not for theatrical project just a home project. Trying to help out my kids mother she's into making videos on the internet. Thanks so much!

Old 11-27-11, 02:59 PM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Black Switch Wires

One of the black switch wires connects to the black going to the light fixtures. The other black switch wire connects to the black power wire.

Old 11-27-11, 04:11 PM
and then to 1 of the 3 prong plug connectors correct?
It must be the wide blade (silver screw) of the plug.

Old 11-27-11, 04:32 PM
D
The only thing a switch does is break the connection of the black (hot) wire. The neutral does not connect to the switch.

Old 11-27-11, 04:48 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Go to the library and check out some books on basic electricity. Fooling around like you are doing could be FATAL!.

Old 11-27-11, 09:09 PM
D
thanks everyone for the help. It was the white wire connected to the black on the dimmer switch. Connected the white wires together and the 2 black wires from the dimmer switch 1 to the light socket and 1 to the 3 prong male plug. It is working perfectly now. Once again thanks so much!