LED recessed lighting set w/ single controller?

Old 11-27-11, 04:31 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LED recessed lighting set w/ single controller?

Hi folks.
I'm planning to install a set of recessed lights (probably 8) i the living room.
I'd like to try out LEDs, and like at least dimmable control, preferably in (at least) a 4+4 split fashion.

The "simple" way to do this is just 8 lights and a dimmer or two. However that seems really inefficient, both in cost and electronics, in that i'd be basicaly buying 8 AC/DC transformers/controllers and controlling via AC.

a much better way would be to have just 1 controller, led by a fancy digital switch (or remote), and low-voltage wire going to each light can for the LEDs. I'd imagine such a setup would be pretty universal in what you could hook up and degree of control etc.

Any suggestions for such a set?
it seems most of what I find is either just independent lights, which are basically A/C replacements and have the control circuit built in, or of course a million specific LED control boards or lights for various applications, but nothing that is really targeted for this use.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-11, 07:39 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've run into the same issue. Just installed 6 new recessed LED lights in my home office, all controlled by one switch. I've research around and buying integrated LED cans seemed the easiest way to go. My living room has existing old-style recessed cans, so I'll eventually just swap them out when LED prices drop a bit more. Let me know what you wind up using. I think LED is the way to go for all home lighting needs.