Halogen work light problem

Old 12-02-11, 10:28 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Halogen work light problem

I have been doing a lot of interior renovations and regularly using halogen work lights.

The problem is that the bulbs don't seem to last more than 5-6 hours on average (originals and replacements). I never handle them with bare fingers and let the units cool off once an hour or so.

Is this a common problem or am I missing something?

Should I drill holes in the steel casings so that there is better ventilation? Convert them to incandescent or fluorescent??

All advice most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-11, 11:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
Is the bulb securely seated in the socket? Other than that I am short on ideas. Mine has bounced around in the truck for years and still works including providing heat to keep pipes from freezing being on for days.

Old 12-02-11, 11:38 AM
D
Is there a ballast for each light? I have CFL canister ceiling lights and each one has it's own ballast which I have had to replace some of them if the new bulb does not work.

Old 12-02-11, 12:06 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Buy a different brand. Unlikely but maybe all of your short lived bulbs came from a bad lot.

Last edited by ray2047; 12-02-11 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-02-11, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
I've used halogen lights for some time and find that bumping when lit will cause the filament to break.
These bulbs are happy when hot so I don't think that trying to cool the fixture would do anything.

You can get halogen bulbs that are rated for 130 volts which should last longer than 120 volt rated ones.
You will get slightly less light from 130 volt bulbs but you may not notice much difference.

Old 12-03-11, 03:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
Buy a different brand
That is the first thing I'd try, I have a couple of the 500 watt lights and the bulbs generally last for years. I've never let mine cool off. I leave them plugged up until I'm finished with them. Are you having this issue with just one light or are there multiple lights blowing bulbs?

Old 12-03-11, 05:49 AM
T
Hi: The problem is with a double set and with a single. The single takes 500W and the double takes 250's. I might just have to mark this down to bad luck. I'll be getting new bulbs today and hope for the best.

Thanks for all the input!