is there a remote switch available for outside floods..unique situation

Old 12-05-11, 10:29 AM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
is there a remote switch available for outside floods..unique situation

Is it possible to feed off of existing outside floodlights and install new CFL /low wattage fixtures using conduit coming from the flood fixture box, all while maintaining some kind of switch for independent operation the floods? Basically what I would like to do is save myself from running conduit and feeding from other places if I can use my existing wires off the 150 watt floods.

Here is my ideal: remove the existing flood fixtures , install new junction boxes, run conduit across the soffits and new low wattage soffit lighting at a few places along the house (2 or 3 fixtures). Then install the flood light back on the electrical box but have some kind of remote switch I can use inside the house to turn on the floods when needed(there are 3 per switch and would be nice if all 3 turned on/off together as they do now). I would like the ability to keep the existing switch in the house turned on, thus providing the dusk to dawn sensor, for the low wattage fixtures, continuous power, but then have a second switch that would enable full floods when needed. Admittedly that’s rare, but this is what I would like. Also I want to be able to kill even the low watt ones completely, thus i would need to keep the existing switch as is. as a master shutoff

So does such a remote switch exist?

If this is not feasible what ill guess ill be doing is tapping into 3 separate outside standard outlets for the 3 different ‘sections’ of the outside of my house. Front, right rear and left rear and running all new conduit and wiring but I still would like some kind of remote switch for them if possible. Day/night sensors will be installed on all the new CFL lighting as well. I have to look up options for that as well

i started looking around and found this Sylvania SA 230 1,000-Watt Outdoor Wireless Remote Control System, 2-Outlet - Smarthome it would be a 'rig' job for sure but if i installed an outdoor outlet under the soffit at each light, and put plugs on the existing floods, i guess this would turn each of the floods on at the same time since i'm sure it's just one frequency for each of the remotes. Still there has to be a better solution

Last edited by luckydriver; 12-05-11 at 11:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-11, 12:14 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
luckydriver,
I have a similar situation. But my lights are on the garage, and I didn't want to run more wires from the house. I ended up buy a wireless remote control from radio shack, but that was some time ago. You can get the same thing, cheaper, better, and a lot more different options by going to, X-10.com. Lights, cameras, alarms, all kinds of thing, and a reasonable price.

Old 12-05-11, 12:37 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You might consider X-10 remote system. I had an exterior light controlled by an interior light switch. I added a x-10 radio controlled exterior switch which works. I use a radio receiver that plugs into a wall receptacle. I replaced the interior switch with an x-10 light switch. And mounted the rc transmitter outside. They sell light x-10 light sockets. The cheaper x-10 stuff is based on dimmers, some cfls warn against use with dimmers. Read all cfl packaging carefully multiple times.

Programing the x-10 is not user friendly and requires meticulous attention to the instructions.

Old 12-05-11, 01:17 PM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
do you mean socket rocket? their literature is lacking and i couldnt find anything for exterior use on their ad

i dont mind programming if it gives me a lot of options will have to dig thru the site more...turning on each individually woudl be pretty wild