Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

Switch w/1 blk + 1 white wire replaced with motion sensor w/white/red/blk wires

Old 12-05-11, 08:09 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have and old light switch with only two incoming wires, one white and one black. I want to replace it with a switch that has a motion sensor and has black, white and red wires. I tried every combination and could not get the switch to work as designed. Some connections resulted in light being on but could not be turned off. Other connections lit up the green LED on the switch but the light would not turn on. Can the motion sensor switch be made to work? If so, how? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-11, 04:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Most likely the motion sensor you have requires a neutral, which you don't have. The white and black wires are just a switch loop. The white wire is technically a black wire, and should have been marked with black tape at it's end to signify so. Read the instructions that came with the switch before you blow it out and make it non returnable. If it calls for a neutral, return it.