Can you use knob and tube wiring with a 12v system?

Old 12-08-11, 09:57 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can you use knob and tube wiring with a 12v system?

I have knob and tube wiring in an old house. I wonder if it is possible under the electrical code to replace the 120v service with 12v or even DC. It would make some things much easier, if it were legit.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-11, 10:09 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Watts is watts (volts X amps=watts) so to get the same watts as you would use at 120v you would need 10 times the amps and the wire size would have to be increased accordingly. From a practical point of view no.

Old 12-08-11, 12:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
Ray brings up an important point. Also voltage drop is more of an issue with LV.

If you are trying to make a safer system it is more practical to rewire and add new circuits where needed.

Old 12-11-11, 02:10 PM
G
Well 20 to 30 watts of LEDs is fairly bright. So I would be talking about 3 amps with 12v. The idea is just to have a functioning light. Floor lamps would still be used. I am assuming it would not be allowed.

An alternative might be to try to use the existing wire to thread a larger diameter wires to the box in the ceiling. But I doubt it would fly with the inspectors.

Old 12-11-11, 02:23 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It would probably work but the low voltage Dc would have to be completely removed from the line voltage wiring and you need a DC source that would require line voltage.. Then too the insulation often crumbles off old wires just touching it so it may not be reusable.. I would say just leave in place till you can afford to replace it.

Last edited by ray2047; 12-11-11 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-11-11, 07:19 PM
H
Speaking of insulation and knob and tube wiring you don't want to insulate around knob and tube wiring it can cause it to overheat and catch on fire. I thought I should mention this in case you were not aware of that. Personally I think knob and tube is a thing of the past and is dangerous especially if you put too much of a load on it. So be sure to replace it as soon as you can and until you do just don't put a large load on it.