photocell replacement

Old 12-08-11, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
photocell replacement

Do photoelectric switches "degrade" over time and need to be replaced? My outdoor lights connected to an ALR model TL-115 photoelectric switch stayed on most of the day until I replaced it with a new one same kind same model, and now controls the lights more correctly depending on the day/night light/darkness. I noticed there was a date stamped on the old photoelectric switch of 11/01 which I suppose means that's when it was manufactured.

Also, we have a couple of Intermatic K4021 model photocell switches on a few other outdoor circuits but they seem to keep the lights on during the day more than they should be also. I was thinking about replacing those switches with new K4021 models but was wondering if perhaps the ALR model TL-115 (or Intermatic equivalent model k4251)) would be a more reliable or better in some way choice of replacement.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-11, 06:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Photocells don't last forever. It could be it is degrading and is at death's door. Others will follow suit. Not sure which one would give better service, if at all.