Recessed Lights, Trim, & Insulation Contact

Old 12-12-11, 11:17 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed Lights, Trim, & Insulation Contact

So I'm in the process of installing can lights. I bought IC rated cans because they will be in the attic and buried under insulation. I found a trim I liked at a major retailer, but the diplay said something about not IC rated. The box says works with insulated or non-IC cans... From what I've been able to find online, it sounds like the trim doesn't matter if it's IC or not but the can does.

So my question is, do I want to look specifically for IC-rated trim? Or since the can is IC rated, am I ok?

The trim is just a simple circular opening with some spring/clips for attachment. All I can think is maybe the opening doesn't allow heat to escape and the can gets too hot???

Any info on this is appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-11, 08:07 PM
Received 86 Votes on 76 Posts
I would suggest looking up your IC rated cans in the manufacturer's catalog and see what trims will work with that particular can. The catalog should also list maximum wattage.

Old 12-14-11, 05:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
Typically the trim can be used with either IC or non-IC. The bulb choices will differ though. In one fixture non-IC can use a 150 watt, but in an IC usage it can only use a 75 watt.

Old 12-14-11, 05:09 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
In addition to The IC rating you should be looking for an air tight can to prevent warm humid air from leaking into the attic. Covering the can with insulation is often not sufficient to prevent leakage and possible condensation within the insulation.

Better now than later.

Bud

Old 12-14-11, 05:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
To add to Buds comments, some areas may require the AT housings to conform to the energy code.